Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Assets Without Anti-Aliasing on Simulator [EDITED]?

Good question Peter.  So who do we trust?  AIR or Simulator?  However, some (not me) do all their testing on the simulator, so if it is AIR that we trust, what do they do?

Yes, this is a very good time for someone with the device to do some simple graphics tests in AIR, simulator and on the device and send back results.

Worse, worse case.  It might look bad initially until people start getting devices to correct the issue.

We have not heard back when devices will be shipped (possibly in a few weeks), but if any developer on this forum has access to a device that can perform some graphics tests, please let us know.

Developer
My Device: Playbook

jtegen wrote:

Worse, worse case.  It might look bad initially until people start getting devices to correct the issue.

The problem with that is the backup of devs updating their applications to fix graphics issues could again overwhelm the test house.  Now, this is, of course, just my concern but I do feel a valid one at that.

I have also noticed that font sizes are different inside and outside of the simulator ( for somewhat obvious reasons ).  I would imagine the simulator should be the trusted environment for that issue, though.

I agree, it would be nice to have a little guidance/insight from RIM on this.

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Agreed not optimal (hence the "worse, worse case"), but if we cannot get guidance or verification, then we have no choice to wait for a device.

I am hoping that someone will get a device earlier than others and be able to test this on their device and then let everyone else know what to do.  This will at least distribute the updates to app world.

New Developer
My Device: PlayBook Developer
My Carrier: None

Hi Guys.

Just wondering how your graphics ended up looking on the actual device.

I've got a couple of apps that I've checked  on my device now and although the graphics are reasonable  - I think they should be tighter (they do look pixelated). I'm looking at different options at the moment (including using PNGs instead of relying on vector graphics).

All the best !

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

i forgot about this tread - thanks for the revival!  i also don't have a PlayBook yet to do any testing but i'm very interested in seeing the results.  needless to say at this point i'd be quite disappointed if vector graphics were not rendered correctly on the actual device.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry® PlayBook™
My Carrier: .

Graphics look almost exactly as they do on the simulator on a real device. The pixels are just smaller. It looks as if system-wide, the stage quality for Flash content is set to either medium or low. Bitmap graphics aren't affected by this, so if you need something high quality, PNG images are better.

In my app, I ended up only using vector with rectangular shapes. Icons, which need to be sharp given their size are all PNGs.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

[ Edited ]

wow.  that's really unfortunate.  i guess i'm now hoping that this, along with sluggish performance, is something else i'll be hoping (expecting?) AIR 2.6 to fix.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
New Developer
My Device: PlayBook Developer
My Carrier: None

Hmmm. Not so good.

Does that mean changes to stage.quality do not take effect then ?

I've tried with pngs to try and sharpen things up. Sure enough it does look tighter.

I've 2 issues with this :-

- if/when the larger screen Playbook comes out, the PNGs in my app will need to scale up and how good will this look ?

- Also I've got little animated clips of cartoon characters (as MovieClips). This is such an easy way to create the kind of content I want. It's a bit of a longer workflow if I need to export all the frames of the animation (or create a spritesheet) and reimport (although admittedly I may end up doing that if I eventually deploy to other devices).

Ho hum ... still trying various things out, but any suggestions/discoveries/tips are most appreciated !

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

studiochris wrote:
Graphics look almost exactly as they do on the simulator on a real device. The pixels are just smaller. It looks as if system-wide, the stage quality for Flash content is set to either medium or low. Bitmap graphics aren't affected by this, so if you need something high quality, PNG images are better.

In my app, I ended up only using vector with rectangular shapes. Icons, which need to be sharp given their size are all PNGs.

In my last app update I replaced almost all vector graphics with PNGs because the vector graphics just look really bad. When I start the app as a desktop app they look fine - in the simulator and on the device they look terrible. I already tried setting my stage quality to maximum without success.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry® PlayBook™
My Carrier: .

Changes to stage.quality are ignored.