Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
SangramPatil
My Device: BB10 Dev Aplha
My Carrier: -

Availing promotional benefits($75K from Blackberry) for AIR app

Just wanted to know community thoughts on the eve of dropped AIR support.

I had been developing the AIR apps for Blackberry and fortunately one of my BFB apps World Clock, won promotional services of 75000$ in the last BFB Onboad Program. The promotional services include featuring the application on App World Carousal and tweets/Facebook posts and articles by Blackberry. In short, Blackberry will promote my app so that there are more downloads(purchases) of my app.

Now I am confused if I should avail these benefits or simply request not to promote the app(losing the prize), as I am sure down the line in coming month/months the app won’t work on any of the BB10 devices. All vendors must have experienced the comments users post, once app crashes because of software updates, here the worst case going to happen and the app will not work at all. Even I don’t feel like I should cheat the customers and ask them to pay for application that won’t be functional in coming month.

Just wanted to understand what you guys suggest?

Note: I simply cannot afford to think of learning new technology to port this app now.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Mayinali
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telcel

Re: Availing promotional benefits($75K from Blackberry) for AIR app

Hiya SangramPatil:

Have you tried to deploy your app as an android app with captive runtime? You will lose your BFB status (we will all lose BFB when the 10.3.1 update comes anyway...), but hopefully, your app will stay working functionally.

You could maybe explain your case, and ask if it is required that your app stays as built for blackberry in order for the prommotion to apply. Good luck!

Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

With that much promo, it's possible (although it would obviously be a gamble for you) that you might come out ahead financially if you paid a freelancer to re-implement your app in Cascades.  Time and money trade-offs ... 

Please use plain text.
Developer
SangramPatil
My Device: BB10 Dev Aplha
My Carrier: -

I cannot deploy app with Captive runtime as it uses Air SDK and some of native features.
Please use plain text.
Developer
pyth
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane
My Carrier: Outer Space

I guess it cannot be helped - you have to rewrite it from scratch. Anyway, you could still use the promotional services with the app, since it wouldn't make a difference for users except for UI and maybe functionality. As long as you sign it with the same key, they will download the 'same' app, and are eligible for updates
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Please use plain text.