Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

xen
New Contributor
xen
My Device: 9900

BB10 PushService in own ANE?

Greetings,

my company is developing an AIR app for IOS, Android and Blackberry 10.

We have already written our own ANE which handles the push services for IOS and Android.

Is it possible to somehow implement the BB10 PushService in that ANE so we can refrain from using platform dependent code in the AIR application itself?

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Re: BB10 PushService in own ANE?

BB has their own platform push service that is in an ANE. Is this a platform neutral push service or are you using the native push services for each platform (iOS and Android)?
xen
New Contributor
xen

[ Edited ]

Yes, we are using the native implementations on each platform (GCM and the Apple Push Notification service) directly in our ANE and its working great. 

So there is no way to kinda "do it yourself" without the supplied ANE for Blackberry?

The issue I am having with this is that I can't call the same class on every device to enable push services but have to either call my own or the blackberry ANE depending on which platform the app gets installed... And that's what i wanted to stay away from.

Developer
jtegen

You could create your own ANE and use BBS services in the NDK. You could also encapsulate at the AS3 level to each of the ANEs in each platform to have the same facade.
xen
New Contributor
xen

Yes, i'd love to use the NDK... but as far as i saw in the DOCs there is no Push api for the NDK...

Developer
jtegen

Interesting. It will probably get their soon. The ANE is only using NDK services. Suggest using the BB ANE and create a wrapper around their AS3 library so when the NDK Push API is released, you can then just exchange the underlying API with your own.
xen
New Contributor
xen

Good suggestion, that's what i will do most likely....

I was a bit worried when I saw that there is no push API in the NDK. There is in cascades tho.... :smileyvery-happy:

Developer
jtegen

My *guess* is that it is in cascade for the same reason it is in AIR. Seems to work but they are not ready to release the low level API.