Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
shawnblais
My Device: Not Specified

BB10 SDK is crashing FlashBuilder 4.7

[ Edited ]

Installing the BB10 SDK on either WIndows 7 or Windows 8 seems to consistently cause FB 4.7 to become unstable, and quit on launch.

Symptoms:

1. Install FB 4.7, Install BB10 SDK, Install New Software > BB10 Support

2. Work for a day or two. At some point, you will close FB, and it will never restart. Every time you try to start it, it will freeze at "Creating workspace" and then just die.

Fix:

Deleting your workspace, works temporarily but the problem will come back. For a full fix, you need to do a total re-install of FB 4.7.

I've had this happen about 5 times, on 2 different machines, and every time the problem only manifests after installing the BB10 SDK. 

Attached are my crash logs.

Please use plain text.
Developer
apman

Re: BB10 SDK is crashing FlashBuilder 4.7

[ Edited ]

ouch - that sounds even more frustrating than the issues I had!

Are you creating a new workspace or opening your old FB 4.6 workspace? (I noticed FB 4.7 doesn't like that much).

If it's any consolation, I have 4.7 running on Windows 7 without any problems like yours, so there must be something in your specific set-up. However, I did have a lot of stability problems that I've only been able to sort out with the help of a very friendly Adobe guy ... - and apparently there's an update to the ASC 2.0 compiler in the works that makes FB 4.7 more tolerant of some legacy layers that it's bound to have to act on top of (Flex SDK) ... (if I understood that right)

I have forwarded a link to your post - maybe if it's something that can be helped from Adobe's side he'll chime in. But it may purely be a RIM problem ...

Anna

My app : Get set - Get up!   Get ready for the snooze revolution.

Please use plain text.
Developer
apman

just another thought : when you say "Install New Software > BB10 Support" ... did you see that with FB 4.7 the SDK integration is done differently? 

If you haven't try going through the steps outlined here

https://developer.blackberry.com/air/documentation/bb10/install_bbtos_sdk_fb47.html#mah1354047470595

(and don't stop when you get to 'Building your first app' ... - there is still some important FB 4.7 specific info in that section!)

Please use plain text.
Developer
Lampei
My Carrier: T-Mobile

OK, after reading your post, I guess I won't upgrade to 4.7 to try to fix this issue I was having

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Adobe-AIR-Development/Errors-in-Flash-Builder-4-6-after-SDK-i...

Little frustrating that RIM says "just install this software and it will just work" then it screws everything else up about the software.  Haven't had these issues when trying to get Android or Apples stuff working :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

And 95% of time it does "just work". It seems there is something going on with FB 4.7 that RIM still needs to address. Early days of Android and iOS Mobile, things did not work all the time either.
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
dmalik
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Dev Alpha C, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Sorry to here about the troubles you're having. I have created 15+ projects and have imported a few over from 4.6 without issue. Are you getting any error messages or anything like that? Is a specific project causing the issue? I'd like to help and will escalate to the tools team to get the issue fixed if it's reproducable. 

Cheers,
Dustin

Follow me on Twitter: @dustinmalik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep up to date on BlackBerry development: http://devblog.blackberry.com/
Please use plain text.
Developer
apman

Hi Dustin,

in my case there were a variety of errors and instability, mostly due to the fact that I import some of my assets as Flash-created .swc's, which means that the compiler has to deal with legacy code introduced through Flash Pro. It seems that these issues are fixed in the ASC 2.0 update, which is supposed to be in Adobe Labs by the end of the week.

However, the Adobe team also noticed that the BB10 plugin was reporting Null Pointer Exceptions in my logs, and they promised to forward the stacktrace to RIM. Let me know if you want me to send you the logs anyway.

Anna

Please use plain text.
dmalik

Thanks for the info Anna. I'll follow up with the tools team to make sure that they got that information from Adobe.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please use plain text.
dmalik

I just got confirmation that we are in touch with Adobe and are looking into it. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
apman

Thanks Dustin!

And the new compiler that I mentioned earlier has now been released - I posted it on a separate thread, seeing that it doesn't specifically address Shawn's problem (although it might ...?)

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Adobe-AIR-Development/New-ActionScript-Compiler-available-on-...

Please use plain text.