Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
Paratheo
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

BB10 and Playbook Air SDK's Running side by side?

Hey guys,

Is it possible to have both configurations installed at the same time for flash builder? To have the BB10 and Playbook SDK's running as separate configurations? Cause at the moment I have to install either one or the other, and when I do install one, the other is just lost.

For example, i want to port my existing playbook application to BB10. So naturally i got online, download the beta 2 BB10 Air sdk, install it. When I open flash builder, i start getting errors in my code cause im trying to access classes that were at one point in time very available in the tablet sdk, but it seems it has been replaced by the bb10 sdk.

I see no configuration setting anywhere to 'switch' between the two configurations. From my understanding, if you wanna build a BB10 app, u gotta use the BB10 sdk, and with the playbook vice versa. You are inconveniently unable to use 1 sdk and develop for both.

Am I correct in my assumptions? And could anybody please point me in the right direction as to how to manage both installations?

Thanks,

Theodore M

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BB10 and Playbook Air SDK's Running side by side?

The best way to do this is to create two workspaces and configure then to use the different RIM SDKs. It works well. If you have a library that will be shared across both platforms, you can leave it in one workspace and just reference it from the project in the other workspace (as long as the library is not using the new SDK and is just plain AS3).
Please use plain text.
Developer
Paratheo
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

Well the issue is that the rim sdk's seem to install right into the regular 'Flex 4.6' sdk. So i can only choose this 1 sdk, which contains whichever rim sdk i installed last.

Am I thinking straight?

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Under Flash Builder Preferences, under Flash Builder / Target Platforms / BlackBerr Tablet OS, unselect "Use latest installed SDK" and for tablet development, I have:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\blackberry-tablet-sdk-2.0.0

For BB10 development (in your other workspace), it should be:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\blackberry-tablet-sdk-3.0.0

Flex 4.6 should be untouched.

Please use plain text.
Developer
pyth
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane
My Carrier: Outer Space

Also, you don't actually HAVE to use BB10 SDK, the PlayBook SDK(s) work as well, as long as RIM does not completely remove/deprecate their old components. You can use the Tablet OS SDKs for BB10. Which also means that you would not be able to use newer components will the old SDK, obviously

In my case, I'm still using the Tablet OS 1.1.0 SDK because our customer did not want to pay for the SDK upgrade. Porting to BB10 alpha still seems good to me, but who knows what the future will bring

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Please use plain text.