Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Trusted Contributor
osus
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

BB10 background services or launch apps at some time

Hi all!

Does anybody know if will there be a way to have background process on BB10? I mean, a process doing things without starting app? i.e. messaging apps.

Will there be something like a TIMER api to let your app doing things at certain intervals (whiout having your app runing, of course)? I.e. I want to run some things every day at 7am, sync and things like that.

My apps for Playbook: PlayEpub Book Reader with epub and FB2 support, Google Reader, ReaditLater - Net Files Share Explorer Get access to your network shared files- FFSync Sync your Firefox bookmarks and passwords
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BB10 background services or launch apps at some time

BB10 does not currently allow background processes. However, you could have your app "register" with your server and you could send those apps a "push" message which would run the app (if not already started). In your case, have the user select when they want the sync to occur, store that on your server, along with their device ID and run a cron job to push a message to your app, on those devices, at the user specified time (taking into account timezones).
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
osus

It's a solution, but it might be very intrussive to launch the full app just to make some syncs, might not?

My apps for Playbook: PlayEpub Book Reader with epub and FB2 support, Google Reader, ReaditLater - Net Files Share Explorer Get access to your network shared files- FFSync Sync your Firefox bookmarks and passwords
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Carrier: Verizon

Right now, there is no alternative. The good thing is that we were told that push initiated apps does not gain user focus, so the user could be in another app when yours is launched, and they will not see it until they minimize the current app.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
osus

Well, it's not perfect but good as a workarround :smileyhappy:

Thankyou man!

Please use plain text.