Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)

Best way to implement an Excel style grid...

Hoping someone could give me some help with this one:

I'm trying to put in an excel style grid that has titles in each column and row, and the user inputs data in about 90% of the squares. I checked out using a sectionTileList and don't think that's what I'm wanting to do. My other thought was to just create a new text input square for each place that I need it, but was wondering if there was a better/more efficient way?

As always, thanks in advance!

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
noahnu
My Device: Blackberry Tablet OS

Re: Best way to implement an Excel style grid...

[ Edited ]

What about a DataGrid?

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ActionScript/3.0_UsingComponentsAS3/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d118a9c65b32...

I even managed to find an example/tutorial that you can look at on it, on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS1lzB-dcsk

From,
Noah NU
Developer
jffurlan

Hmm, that looks like it will work but I can't seem to get any sample code to work in Burrito...mainly due to the inability to import fl.controls.datagrid. Am I missing something?

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
jffurlan

Hmm, I also found this post by JRab that may be what I'm looking for as well

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/SQLLite/m-p/675333#M2465

- Hockey DrillBook -
Regular Contributor
Rossman
My Device: Not Specified

You can make a grid easily with TileList.

Developer
noahnu

After a bit of research I would suggest using JRab's method rather than what I suggested. Apparently the fl package is FLA-based not SWC-based. There is some confusion when accessing it from Flex.

From,
Noah NU
Developer
jffurlan

[ Edited ]

Rossman wrote:

You can make a grid easily with TileList.

And it is editable and can have labeled columns and rows?

EDIT: I guess I should specify that I'm not trying to display data to the user, but trying to collect data from the user.

- Hockey DrillBook -
Regular Contributor
Rossman
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

You could write your own CellRenderer class and have a TextInput for each grid tile...?

They have an example of writing your own CellRenderer in the documentation as well it has been discussed here somewhat if you search for it.

Developer
noahnu

I would think there would be a much more efficient method than creating a new Text Input for each tile. Not sure exactly what the method would be, but it must be out there.

From,
Noah NU
Developer
jffurlan

Rossman wrote:

You could write your own CellRenderer class and have a TextInput for each grid tile...?

They have an example of writing your own CellRenderer in the documentation as well it has been discussed here somewhat if you search for it.

Using CellRenderer wouldn't actually be too bad I guess...I could use labels for each item, and apply cellrender to the entire tilelist...then just add everything to a container so it all moves together.

At least, that's where my brain is going right now.. I think it'll take a lot of messing around to get exactly what I'm picturing.

- Hockey DrillBook -