Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

BlackBerry DEVCON - Oct 2011

BB is looking for papers for the Oct 18-20 BB DEVCON in San Francisco.  Papers are due April 1st.  They are looking for topics on:

•	BlackBerry® Tablet OS
•	Adobe® Flash® and Adobe® Air®
•	BlackBerry® Java® SDK 6.0
•	BlackBerry Services (including Payment Service, Advertising Service, BlackBerry® Push Service, and more)
•	Business Success and Case Studies (share your app development, B2C commercialization or internal deployment lessons learned)
•	Other Developer Tools and Platforms
•	BlackBerry Native C/C++
•	BlackBerry® WebWorks™ application
•	BlackBerry Web Development
•	Multimedia
•	Security
•	Super Apps
•	User Interface & User Experience

Assuming you can get a paper together on any of these topics in the next 3 weeks while trying to get your app done or enhanced is one thing.  But the state of the OS and development environment will be totally different in 5 months.  So either the paper will be obsolete or will need a full overhall.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: BlackBerry DEVCON - Oct 2011

[ Edited ]

jtegen wrote:

... Papers are due April 1st.  ...

Assuming you can get a paper together on any of these topics in the next 3 weeks while trying to get your app done or enhanced is one thing.  But the state of the OS and development environment will be totally different in 5 months.  So either the paper will be obsolete or will need a full overhall.

In my experience few such events require the entire paper to be finalized so far in advance of the event itself.

Judging by the Call For Papers document (PDF) and the contents of the web submission form, you do not actually have to finish your presentation by April 1, but merely have information such as the title, summary, description, possibly sample presentation materials (for supporting your proposal), etc.

Here's the list of key dates, from that PDF:

• Week of February 7: Call for Papers opens 
  • Friday April 1: Deadline for all submissions
  • April 4 – April 29: Notification of acceptance occurs in a rolling process. You may be contacted for an 
  • interview with the RIM content team to further discuss your application.
  • September 9:  Presentation materials due for review by the RIM content committee
What that translates to is that you've got 3 weeks to rough out your presentation, with an abstract (max 500 words), "key takeaways", etc, and then over 5 months to finish it.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Thank you for clarifying.

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Any requests for Playbook / AIR / Flex / Flash sessions? ;-)

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: other

[ Edited ]

I am very sure PlayBook's release date will be announced at DevCon. :smileyhappy:

Developer

AppStoreLover wrote:

I am very sure PlayBook's release date will be announced at DevCon. :smileyhappy:

Boy, if they wait that long, there won't really be much point in having an official announcement.

By then, the leaks and rumours will have converged, and we'll all know exactly when to go to which stores to get it (mostly on April 10). :smileyhappy:

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

peter9477 wrote:

Boy, if they wait that long, there won't really be much point in having an official announcement.

By then, the leaks and rumours will have converged, and we'll all know exactly when to go to which stores to get it (mostly on April 10). :smileyhappy:

Gee, that didn't really make any sense, did it?

I got  "DevCon" there confused with the Developer Days thing on March 31.

At least my first sentence still holds true, even for October... :smileyhappy: