Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Trusted Contributor
Vibes
My Device: PlayBook 2.0
Accepted Solution

BlackBerry Graphical Aid - Developer Certificate Location

I'm using the BlackBerry Graphical Aid for Windows to sign my AIR apps.

How to change the location of the .p12 certificate under the "Configuration" tab?

No matter what I'm trying the path points to "author.p12". (the file is in a local settinsg RIM folder) is it a bug?

Thanks.

Vibes

P.S. Where does the BlackBerry Graphical Aid stores the input data? Maybe it's possible to hack the path in there?!

Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Re: BlackBerry Graphical Aid - Developer Certificate Location

[ Edited ]

The package id of the graphical aid tool (which you can view in the application xml file for the

graphical aid AIR app) is "Main".   Yes, you read that right, "Main".  

(You can review the full application xml contents at a path on your system that might

resemble C:\Program Files\BlackBerryGraphicalAid\META-INF\AIR\application.xml on

your system).

So using that clue, and the Adobe docs for local filesystem sandbox name resolution, you'll find

that e.g. on a Windows XP box with the graphical aid installed, the local settings are stored in a

shared object at the path:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Main\Local Store\#SharedObjects\Main.swf\BBGraphicalAid.sol

Since I haven't used this tool in ages, I had version 1.0.0 installed, and I was able to

run the configuration wizard and change the .p12 file location in this version.  However, once

I install the most recent version that I can readily find, version 2.6.6, and run the configuration wizard,

and try to change the .p12 file location, it gives me a warning about how I have already set

this and am about to overwrite the certificate.  

Note from this discussion that when using the commandline tools, "if you name the new P12

author.p12 and place it in the same directory as the barsigner.db then you can sign with 1 command"

(meaning, you don't have to do a two step signing procedure like you do if you name the .p12 something

different)  Maybe the graphical aid is needing/expecting you to use the standard "author.p12"

name and place it in the standard location.  (On e.g. Windows XP that location is:

%HOMEPATH%\Local Settings\Application Data\Research In Motion\author.p12).

Try copying your .p12 file to that name/location and see if that helps.

Lastly, see my comments about why IMO depending on the graphical aid for a production build flow

is not a particularly good choice.

Trusted Contributor
Vibes
My Device: PlayBook 2.0

Re: BlackBerry Graphical Aid - Developer Certificate Location

Thank you so much! It worked!

copied author.p12 to the location you mentioned! :smileyhappy:

Have a nice day,

Vibes