Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

BlackBerry spam?

First off, I know that this might not be the right forum but there doesn't seem to really be a right forum for this.

I'm a bit confused. I don't usually get much spam in my email account but recently recieved this:

from	BlackBerry Award 2011 Promotion <info@bbpromo.net>
reply-to	blackbery@blumail.org
to	
date	Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 4:32 PM
subject	Online Ticket Number 889-026-1319

Apr 22 (1 day ago) 	

BlackBerry Award 2011 Promotion!

This is to inform you that you have won a prize money of $350,000.00
 United States Dollars Only for the email users this 2011 Award Promotion
 which is organized by BLACKBERRY INCOPORATION , We Collects all the email
 addresses of people worldwide, that are active online this 2011, among the
 millions that subscribed to MICROSOFT, HOTMAIL, YAHOO, GMAIL Companies
 domains and few from other e-mail providers, 12 people are selected yearly
 to benefit from this promotion and you are one of the Selected Winners
 this year 2011.

Your email address has therefore been approved to claim a total sum of
 ($350,000.00 UNITED STATES DOLLARS) in cash with the following reference
 numbers:

Online Ticket Number 889-026-1319
    Serial Number 101-116
    Lucky Numbers 009,789,176

CONTACT THE CLAIM MANAGER FOR CLAIM VIA EMAIL BELOW:

CONTACT NAME: Mr.Garry Williams
 CONTACT EMAIL: blackberry-claimmanager@manager.in.th
 CONTACT PHONE NO.: +44703 595 4812

Thanks,

Coordinator,
 The BlackBerry Team,
 Mrs. Eleanor Miller.

Should I report this as phishing?

Regular Contributor
My Device: 1st Gen BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB (Gift from RIM :D)
My Carrier: WiFi

Re: BlackBerry spam?

Hi,

after reading the posted email, I came to the conclusion that you should report it as a phishing attempt. (I hope it's just an attempt :smileywink: )

First of all, the reply email address is a freemail account at http://blumail.org/.

Second, there is no such organization like BLACKBERRY COPORATION (note the spelling mistake in CO(R)PORATION)

And third, if you didn't participate in any kind of lottery, you should always see such mails critically.

Over and out...

This is a signature. Don't expect anything fancy, for I would use an image if I could. But I can't, so cope with it...
Developer

Yes, after looking at it again after posting it's obvious to me this is a fake, not to mention the other fake contact information. I'll report it as phishing.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9900 + Dev Alpha B + PlayBook
My Carrier: O2 UK

And your prize money will be released as soon as you Western Union them the $500 release fee... :-)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help fellow forum users! Please remember to click "Like" on helpful posts.
If a post solves your problem click "Mark as solution"
New Developer

Chances are your email address was pulled from the App World page. I find it a little concerning that RIM doesn't do anything to hide our email addresses (eg saying user -at- domain, or having a custom contact form).

Either way, it's just spam, and don't worry, it's not from BB.

Developer

Ya, I noticed how my email address was clearly posted on the App World. I mean, an email address written, perfectly formatted in plain text just seems so vulnerable. I also developed an extension for the Opera web browser, and the process of submitting and releasing is vaugely similar to here. Except there I can provide users with a URL to a page to get support instead of showing any email address. It'd be nice if we could supply users with the URL to our official website right on our app's page.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

Kai001 wrote:

Ya, I noticed how my email address was clearly posted on the App World. I mean, an email address written, perfectly formatted in plain text just seems so vulnerable. I also developed an extension for the Opera web browser, and the process of submitting and releasing is vaugely similar to here. Except there I can provide users with a URL to a page to get support instead of showing any email address. It'd be nice if we could supply users with the URL to our official website right on our app's page.

Last I looked my email address had a bunch of strange characters embedded in it.  Maybe those don't show on your OS/browser.

--------------
Accepted PlayBook Applications: Marmi-doos, BASIC, Run and Hide, SuperClip
Accepted OS4-7 SmartPhone App: KeepLightOn
Developer

My email address shows in plain text without any spam protection in both Firefox and IE9

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

@ITFCJim: If you look at the source code of the page, the email address is obfuscated by random <> tags. To the human eye its in plain view but to a bot or computer its not an email address. obviously they'll have a way around it if they are advanced enough but it should get the job done with most of the bots.

so chances are if you are receiving spam, its because an actual person saw it on the site and wrote it down.
J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer

@JRab: Mine isn't! Looking at the source code both the mailto: link and the displayed text is just HTML encoded

Without giving my whole email address away, for example, this is the start of the support link text on my app's page:

"&#x73;&#x75;&#x70;&#x70;&#x6f;&#x72;&#x74;&#x40;"

Which when decoded is "support@"