Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry Playbook Screen Size - Vote!

This is an Adobe AIR development forum. Your rant is better suited on other websites were fact and fiction can be interchanged.  If you have an issue with ActionScript development, discussions about the API, features you would like to see added to the SDK or have the ability to help others, then please post them there.

Nothing prevents you to develop/port over a VOIP app to the PB.

It is clear you have never used the device or understand the market it is intended to be used for.  No one is forcing you to develop for the PB.  Your advise and experience seems to be better suited for iPad or Android tablet development.  Best of luck to you.

Please use plain text.
Developer
HuXu77
My Device: Playbook 16GB and Z10

This is a general debate for ALL tablets currently available and will be available.  What the consumer has to figure out for themselves personally, is what would I use a tablet for?  Once you know what purpose a tablet would serve in your life, then you can start looking at the specs.

I personally think 7" tablet is exactly what I am looking for.  My job requires that I am on the go almost all the time, I usually carry around tons of papers where I will make changes to things that exist digitally (such as an inventory) but on the physical paper.  I sometimes need to lift or move things so I need my hands to be free.  I have held the iPad in the store and honestly if I am going to move something I would have to set that sucker down, for someone else to pick up and run off with.  With a 7" tablet I can put it in my pocket where I know it is with me at all times yet its screen is big enough for me to take advantage of editing files on the go.

I have talked to people who love the iPad's size and they want that size because of media, such as watching movies and such, but really, if you are going to watch a movie why not plug it into an HDMI port and watch it on your big screen?  Again, personal opinion.

Fitbit for BlackBerry PlayBook
Please use plain text.
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

After making a mock up out of cardboard I began to get quite worried that the playbook is too small, especially considering the iPad doesn't feel large to me. I'm reserving any final judgement until I get it though, as I'm hoping the portability aspect will outweigh the smaller screen real estate. I still think it will be a great device to show slideshows, pictures, movies, spreadsheets, etc on.
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
tayshun12
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

Playbook wrote:

Blackberry Compatriots,

Am I the only person that would like to see a bigger screen for the Blackberry PlayBook? 9"? 10"?

Let me know what you think. Personally, I would like to see a larger screen on the Playbook! 7" is too small; it's not a phone. So, Blackberry Engineers lets see what the people think.

Cheers!

PlayBook

Yes, Yes you are. The playbook is going to be the perfect size for my jacket pockets, ultimate portable! as someone said earlier, and I agree, I can't see myself taking an iPad everywhere I go. Its just impractical. I thought about how awesome it would be to have my playbook back in the winter, inside my coat pocket, then bust it out on the bus and watch tv, youtube,etc. I always have a bad feeling about leaving tech toys in a backpack cause anything can happen and especially to have the iPad(2) and throw it in your bag, the screen could crack on awkward movements, hits or nudges; if you only have the sleeve on especially. 

But No, you are not actually the only person that thinks this, I think that a 10 inch would be great to place on a living room table! Slap some Gorilla Glass onto it(cause you never know who'd be dumb enough to place a glass on top), build an IR-Blaster onto the back and you're set! My mom loves the idea of an iPad in the living room because she always has to bust out her laptop when she wants to google something quickly. when I told her I was getting this she was like "Perfect!" and I was like "uhh... guess again. you might want to count your coins and invest in that iPad." LOL. I would love to see this next year with an actual Q1 release! All Jokes aside, does anybody feel like they are going into cardiac arrest or going to relapse waiting for that oh so fruitful e-mail from RIM/Canada Post saying that the Dev devices have been shipped? I know I am!

Please use plain text.
Developer
ajerman
My Device: Playbook Simulator
My Carrier: AT&T

Honestly, no, not at all. I just got an iPad 2, which I do love, but it's a bit big to carry around. I actually carry it around in an old laptop bag a lot. I'm really excited to see the Playbook because I think it's size may be perfect for a lot of things where 10" is too big. I think a lot of people would be pleasantly surprised when they get their hands on it.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

The 7" screen is a nice fit for a real portable device.  You can go into Best Buy and hold the Xoom.  It is basically the same size.  RIM had said a while back that they will be open to other form factors later on.  This will probably depend on the success of the 7" size.

Please use plain text.
Developer
ajerman
My Device: Playbook Simulator
My Carrier: AT&T

jtegen wrote:

The 7" screen is a nice fit for a real portable device.  You can go into Best Buy and hold the Xoom.  It is basically the same size.  RIM had said a while back that they will be open to other form factors later on.  This will probably depend on the success of the 7" size.

It's actually quite a bit smaller than the Xoom. Here are some dimensions which I can't necessarily guarantee are exactly right since I just searched quick:

Playbook: 7.6″ x 5.1″ x 0.4″

Xoom: 9.8" x 6.6" x 0.5"

iPad 2: 9.5" x 7.3" x 0.34"

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
PBDev
My Device: Free PlayBook

[ Edited ]

After the NCAA championship game a local news reporter was interviewing fans at a sports bar. He had his iPad with him to show comments from web. It was hilarious watching him trying to talk to fans with his microphone and trying to figure out what to do with his iPad. He tried holding on it. He tried moving it under his arm, He finally when over to the the bar and talked with a fan and laid it down at the bar. After talking with the fan he walked over to the camera and left his iPad at the bar. When he talking to the camera you could see the fan picking up his iPad and looking at it. If he had a PlayBook he could have put it in his coat pocket.

Please use plain text.
Developer
berryawesome
My Device: Not Specified

I prefer the 7" screen. While a big screen is great, the playbook is meant to be the device you always carry around with you so portability is key. I believe RIM made the right call.

Please use plain text.
Developer
billbsb
My Device: Playbook, Z10 L.E.
My Carrier: Vodafone NL

In the beginning I was very uncertain as well. 7" is way to small. But, after using it for a while I realized it was very practical, easy to handle and very comfortable. But, what I realized that makes the real big difference, is the content that you consume on the device.

If people/companies don't make the appropriate content for the device's size, than it will not be good. But believe me, I'm seeing some very impressive content made for the Playbook.

So now I think it might be a great success!

Btw, if you see promotional videos where they show you the PB using just ONE hand ... well, it's just like that! Very easy!

http://youtu.be/sETaMK0qOp4

Cheers!
Please use plain text.