Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook

Re: Blackberry Playbook Screen Size - Vote!

I vote in favor of a 10" size, after checking out a site on the Playbook which  I had modified to render well and work comfortably on the iPad.

If the Playbook had been available in 10" I would have bought it. But 7" was too small for the sorts of things I want to do.  Not that 7" wouldn't be fine for other people and what they want to do.

I think it's quite feasible to make some minor adjustments to a website that was originally designed for desktop screens so that it is comfortable also on the 10" form factor; however, it is likely to require in many instances a fairly radical rethinking of the legacy layout and navigation to get the site to work comfortably on the 7" form factor. 7" support is often going to require a rewrite, not a tweak.

10" is still pretty darn easy to carry, and I believe it to be THE optimal tablet size for most people.

Developer
My Device: Blackberry PlayBook

You can have a larger screen, options are always welcom.  I personally prefer the 7" tablet.  It's the size of a book.  It can easilly be held with one hand and the screen is large enough that all content is quite readable and sharable with others unlike a phone.

I don't consider my iPad carry-around-portable.  At its size it's a bit too close to my MacBook Pro, so outside of development, it always gets left at home.  When I bring my iPad with me, it's because I've brought my notebook bag that has enough room to hold it.

And outside a futre of possible fragmentation, what's does this have to do with the AIR SDK? :smileywink:

Developer
My Device: PlayBook V1 and proud of it :-)

IMHO i think all tablets are the new emperors clothes, they are more expensive than a decent laptop, they not at all good at creating media, and are good at consuming media.

That said, I prefer my playbook to my ipad2, it's way out in front, more ram, stereo, usb, hdmi out, higher res cameras, superior OS, fast, consumes media with ease (any one surfed the web on an ipad-waste of time).

And yet which one do i use for reading the ipad 2, why? Because of it's bigger screen, and now iBooks can read PDF's it's a no brainer for me.

A playbook with a 10.1 screen yes, I think that will do nicely, as Samsung have done with the Galaxy Tab. I'm about to buy an Asus Eee Pad Transformer, I have a feeling this will change my mind again.

Keep the Forum productive and useful for all. Click Kudos button if I've helped you. Select Solved to help everyone.

PlayBook qualifying app - Pandoras' Lights
Blog - CoCopia.co.uk Catch me on Twitter cocopia_apps
New Contributor

Hey, I have no clue why my post showed up on an AIR SDK thread.  :Eek:

I clicked the reply button on a thread about the 7" form factor versus the 10" form factor!  

Solutions: 6,096
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

...because this thread is in the tablet OS section of the forum... that's why it appeared here.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

There were two pages of responses to the original post, made months prior to my own.  So the form-factor-vote thread has been "squatting" in the AIR SDK forum for some while.  The riot-police will have to be called in. It's not brick and mortar but a web forum, so they will need to serve an e-viction notice.