Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Browse to image directory?

In the FileReference class, you are able to browse the file system.  Can there be or will there be a simple way to default the file selection process to "standard" directories for media content like photos/images?

OR

Simple GUI to thumb thru a list of photos (and sub-directores of photos) to select one or more (specified by calling application) so that an application can quickly select a photo/image that may have been placed onto the device by the camera or other application.

Hate to duplicate image repositories all over the place.

New Developer
ryantan
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Browse to image directory?

Are you referring to getting images from the Camera Roll?

cheers,
Ryan
Developer
jtegen

If the camera roll is the standard place to put images, then yes.  Akin to "My Pictures" under Windows.  Possibly extend flash File class to return native paths to the directories of centralized content.

Contributor
ml4d
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

In terms of Air for Android then the Camera Roll api accessed the devices default image gallery, it was however device dependant and you would need to check too see if the device supported this feautre.

Off the top of my head it was something like this:

var cRoll:CameraRoll = new CameraRoll();

if(CameraRoll.supportsBrowseForImage)
{

//add your Events and Media events to the cRoll object before calling browse.

cRoll.browseForImage();

}

It would then take you out of your Air app and into the default app for image browsing, upon image selection it would close the image browsing app and fire a catchable event with the images URL on the device.

I'm not sure if it's going too be the same for the playbook or wether they will make a specific api. I'll have a look for my old CameraRoll api test and port them over.

Let you know how I got on.

Sam

*EDIT* Just realised we have no pre installed apps, including the gallery app. So it's unlikely it going to work. I'll give it a go anyway!

Contributor
ericdev
My Device: Playbook

Any news about the support for the "CameraRoll" function, I know thet the emulator doesn't support it, but will it work on the actual device?

I really need the CameraRoll function for my app.

--------------

My Playbook App: FaceWarp
Developer
jtegen

Probably going to have to wait for an updated SDK.  Try to work around it for now.

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

ericdev wrote:

Any news about the support for the "CameraRoll" function, I know thet the emulator doesn't support it, but will it work on the actual device?

I really need the CameraRoll function for my app.

If you're asking whether the CameraRoll feature will exist, the answer (I believe from one of the webcasts) was a clear "yes".  If you're asking if we know pretty much anything beyond that yet, the answer is "no".  I believe we are all expecting to learn more with the next release of the SDK (which is now later than expected).

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!