Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
josemoraes
My Device: PB simulator

Business model for PB app distribution

Hi Everyone! Pardon me if its an off topic question, since it is not a strict "coding" issue. Nevertheless, it may have some influence on the plans I have in investing on development for PB instead on others mobile platforms, so I'll appreciate any comment: 

Do you now (or maybe have a clue) about plans of RIM on how will be distributed apps for PlayBook? Will it be made solely via BB App World, or it will be allowed for a developer to deliver apps by his/her own means?

Regards

------------------------

Jose E. Moraes

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Business model for PB app distribution

The only main discussion that has occured is the distribution of applications via App World.  I beleive the cut is 70% developer and 30% BB for paid applications.

If your application is free, then App World should not be an issue.

If the application distribution is closed (eg company proprietary, beta, etc.) I would think the BB desktop application that comes with BB phones ( or similar specific to PB) would make it possible to load an application to the PB via a USB cable.

BB people would have to confirm or clarify this.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
josemoraes
My Device: PB simulator

Hi John, thanks for the reply!

For a BB phones its possible to install an app totally independent from App World, using the BB desktop software (is that correct?).  

So lets wait to see if it will be possible for PB as well.

Regards.

---------------

José E Moraes

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

It would seem logical to manage parts of your PB from your PC via USB.  Hopefully we will know in the coming weeks.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
trickyelf
My Device: 9630

[ Edited ]

Hi Jose,

I am wondering the same. If you are developing with AIR, you should be able to put a trial on App World and then sell licenses from your site and authorize them using Zarqon:

http://zarqon.net

-=Cliff>

Dungeon Joe - A Touch-focused Strategy Game http://dungeonjoe.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

This brings up another question.  If you have a 'free' version and a 'paid' version of the application, does App World manage this in terms of feature keys or should the application manage this will developer supplied registration and feature keys?  Or should it be different applications that get compiled differently?  Anyone done this with App World on phone apps?  Pros and cons of each?

Please use plain text.
Developer
ectar
My Device: Tegra 2 Android tablet and Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

For BB smartphones you can install your app just by download signed app (JAD+COD) in your device, it will be downloaded and installed, you dont have to list it anywhere expect provide an URL... AppWorld is more marketing tool, you want to have you app noticed and downloaded/purchased by ppl which didnt know your app exists.

http://riahut.com
Please use plain text.