Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Call/SMS functionality

Hello,

I just reviewed the Flex for the BlackBerry PlayBook in 90 Minutes and found there a very interesting thing in the sample code - a possibility to make a call or send SMS to selected phone number.

Here is the code excerpt:

switch (action.type)
{
case "tel":
navigateToURL(new URLRequest("tel:"+action.details));
break;

case "sms":
navigateToURL(new URLRequest("sms:"+action.details));
break;

case "mailto":
navigateToURL(new URLRequest("mailto:"+action.details));
break;
}

So, I got a question - does the PlayBook really allow the app to make a call?If so - how it's gonna do that? Via a BlueTooth connected BlackBerry phone? Or doe the PlayBook have a mic for calls and/or SMS sending capabilities via integrated 3G/4G module?

Or it's just a fake code to show the idea of coding?

Tanks

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Call/SMS functionality

hey,

i havent heard anything relating to making or receiving calls via the playbook. it'd be really interesting though if we could use headsets and use the phone connection from our tethered phone. the 4g/3g devices making phone calls would be a nice touch. maybe its just wishful thinking but it'd give the playbook a nice edge on the competition.

as for the code you found. it think the example you saw was from an android application for android phones (they use the flex framework on their apps). so whoever made the tutorial probably just got it from their own / another application. since android phones have the capability to operate as a phone, they can easily utilize the navigatetourl method for making phone calls.

but if this is implemented sometime in the future it would open a whole lot of doors.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

All fine questions. Keep digging and let us know if you find out. :smileyhappy:

Seriously, the short answer is we just done know what it all means. We don't know what the PB will be able to do (exactly) and what this code might mean or show. There is so little information actually released so far.

Bill

Bill
-------------------------------------------
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids
Developer

I'd be even happy with the option to start a call from BlackBerry phone simply by clicking a button in the app. While the option to send SMS from PlayBook (even using the same connected phone) is really great feature.

I'm afraid it's a kind of wish list, but I'm sure these are breakthrough features.

About an open doors - this could be even an open doors for fraud, but to handle this the Tablet OS must have some kind of confirmations to allow make this call or send SMS. Without this a nice feature may became a nightmare for end users.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

fraud can happen any time. as soon as you download an app there is a chance its fraudulent. you just gotta take a leap of faith! (and commeon sense haha)

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer

Yeah, but possibility to call/sms without any OS/user control raises the risk to download a fraud app by hundreds or even thousands :smileyhappy:

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

Deevych wrote:

Yeah, but possibility to call/sms without any OS/user control raises the risk to download a fraud app by hundreds or even thousands :smileyhappy:

Of course. I think we can safely assume that there will be some kind of security in place to prevent this.

Bill

Bill
-------------------------------------------
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids
Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Just thought I'd add (as JRab had mentioned) that the code was originally for Android development (I had copied it off Adobe's site a few weeks before BlackBerry added it and changed the pictures).

Actually, if you scoll to the bottom of it you'll notice that the pictures suddenly change to portrait mode (as they originally were) and no longer have the bezel to them.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

It was early on that I recall that the tablet would not be a phone.  But if a phone was paired, it could probably ring out from there.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

If anyone saw the hp webOS announcement last week it would be neat to see the playbook interact with blackberrys the same way the Pre and the touchpad work together
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -