Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
Twirlly
Accepted Solution

Command Prompt? Keeps Closing

When I click adl or even adt in the bin folder of the Adobe AIR SDK to run the command line and compile my app it opens very briefly then closes. I don't even know if this is the command prompt I'm supposed to be using or why it;s doing that. Or is there another way to get a bar file for an app made in flash pro. Yes, I've looked at several post about compiling using command prompt. but I guess they aren't clear enough for me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Developer
thesmileman
My Carrier: n/a

Re: Command Prompt? Keeps Closing

Open a cmd window first. Then navigate to the folder where the bb tools are then type in the commands manually. There is no user interface it is all at the command line unless you package with Flash builder which I don't think is an option since you are using flash pro

Please use plain text.
Developer
Brandon_Appetizer
My Carrier: WiFi

Yes, what thesmileman said. If you double click on the files, they will just run and then close. They won't do anything because they didn't run with any settings.

You have to open a command prompt separately, and make sure you right click andselect run as administrator when you launch it, or you will most likely run into problems.
----------------------------------------
If this post solved your problem, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button.
If you found this post useful, please provide a Kudo. Thanks.

Approved Apps: Celestial Slingshot
Please use plain text.
New Developer
Twirlly

Wow I appreciate the quick replys. I don't know if I'm just totally lost or super tired but I'm still not understanding. If you mean using the windows command prompt then should I go to one of those (adl/adt) or blackberry-airpackager as I saw somwhere esle. I tried to do this, but maybe I don't know how to move to a file correclty using command line. So wishing I stayed with Flash Builder now, but too late for that lol.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Brandon_Appetizer

Just restarting my computer, I'll post you a little guide in a minute. You are on windows 7?

Please use plain text.
New Developer
Twirlly

Wow thank you thank would be awesome. I can get to the directory now but I don't know where the blackberry-packager and swf, xml need to be in reference to each other (i was calling it from the with the program files/adobe/flash builder4/etc i dont think this is right as it hasnt worked) As much detail as possible is needed unfortunately. I'm typing this on a pc with win 7 but compiling the app on one with vista because everything was already on there so that's where i'm working from

Please use plain text.
Developer
Brandon_Appetizer

Alright, I'll start from the beginning in any case:

1) Click the start menu button and in the search box type 'cmd'

2) You will see 'cmd.exe' show up, right click on it and select 'Run as administrator'

3) Browse to the folder where you want to perform the actions. If you want to change drives, simply type the drive letter followed by a colon. For example, typing 'd:' and pressing enter would change to the d: drive. Use the 'cd' command to change folders. For example:

cd "c:\Playbook\Myapp"

4) Execute the commands you want by giving the full path to the .bat file. For example:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder Burrito\sdks\blackberry-tablet-sdk-0.9.4\bin\"blackberry-airpackager -package <appname>.bar <appname>-app.xml <appname>.swf blackberry-tablet.xml blackberry-tablet-icon.png splashscreen.png assets

or

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder Burrito\sdks\blackberry-tablet-sdk-0.9.4\bin\"blackberry-signer -verbose -cskpass <cskpass> -keystore <filename>.p12 -storepass <storepass> <appname>.bar RDK

Of course, adjust the path to the \bin\ folder in the quotes according to the location on your computer.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
Twirlly

Okay such great help Brandon, you're a lifesaver. I should send you a cookie basket lol. At least now hopefully i won't feel like all my time on this app wasnt completely wasted. I started this in January sadly. Okay one more thing although the bar was created, there is an issue with my xml file. I just used a default one i found (that may be old), and created it in notepad by just changing the extension. Would you by any chance have a layout for that, and can i not make it that way?

Please use plain text.
Developer
thesmileman
My Carrier: n/a

You can created it that way if you use notepad. Here is the format for the blackberry-tablet.xml file. You obviously need to change the splashscreen and icon names to match yours

<qnx>
  <initialWindow>
    <systemChrome>none</systemChrome>
    <transparent>false</transparent>
  </initialWindow>
  <publisher>YOUR_CN_NAME</publisher>
  <category>core.utils</category>
  <permission>access_internet</permission>
  <permission>play_audio</permission>
  <permission>read_geolocation</permission>
  <splashscreen>yourSplashScreen.png</splashscreen>
  <icon>
  	<image>YourIconName.png</image>
  </icon>
</qnx>
Please use plain text.
New Developer
Twirlly

Okay so i discovered my blackberry-tablet.xml was fine but not the AppName-app.xml. Do I need this file,a nd do you have an example of that one. I took the format from one of my Flash Builder apps but it gives the error 105: application.initialWindow.content contains an invalid value. The current content tag within the initialWindow tag has [This value will be overwritten by Flas Builder in the output app.xml] I'm thinking I shouldn't be using that since I'm not compiling with Flash Builder, so should I comment out or replace it with soemthing.

Please use plain text.