Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
karisewer
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: NONE
Accepted Solution

Compatibility problem of PlayBook application on the Dev Alpha device

Hi everyone,

I got the following message form the BlackBerry App World Requests :

BlackBerry 10 compatibility test on your app / When the application is launched, the app is cropped 50% on the bottom of the screen. 

-----------------------------------------

My app is an Adobe Air application built with Flash Builder for the Playbook tablet. I have tried the following fixes with no result:

•  I set the aspect ratio to  <aspectRatio>landscape</aspectRatio>

• I added the following line to the .as file:  [SWF(height="1280", width="768", frameRate="60",backgroundColor="#000000")]

• I scaled the dimensions of the game to 1280*768,

• I changed the app.xml file:

to <width>1280</width><height>768</height>

or to <maxSize>1280 768</maxSize>
                 <minSize>1024 600</minSize>)

... nothing seems to work, and I've run out of possible solutions. Can you help me to find a way to solve the problem for the Dev Alpha device?

Thank you very much in advance,
KS

Please use plain text.
Developer
pyth
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane
My Carrier: Outer Space

Re: Compatibility problem of PlayBook application on the Dev Alpha device

hey kari

have you tried your .swf as standalone? (double-clicking in the Windows Explorer, should open automatically with a browser or your flash player). If your app at that point still has the wrong dimensions, there's something wrong with your game (which means the .swf and not the app.xml or AIR). For your game to have the correct dimensions it should be sufficient to do both step 2 and 3 as you said, namely

• I added the following line to the .as file:  [SWF(height="1280", width="768", frameRate="60",backgroundColor="#000000")]

• I scaled the dimensions of the game to 1280*768,

Elsewise, you could set the dimensions to 60 x 60 for fun and see what happens. If it scales, everything is ok, so just scale it to 1280x768. If it doesn't, you could check the sizes of your stage in your Main sprite and set the stage values accordingly (like e.g. stage.align = StageAlign.TOP_LEFT;
            stage.scaleMode = StageScaleMode.NO_SCALE;           
            this.scaleX = 1280/1024;
            this.scaleY = 768/600; //or similar

)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
karisewer

Hey pyth,

Thanks for your response. I had already tested the game as standalone and worked perfectly.

So I tried what you suggested and after a thousand attempts, I think I found my mistake.

I changed the stage dimensions and the movieClip’s dimensions which contains the game (I set the dimensions very tiny)... but the thing is that I was changing the dimensions of the movieClip in the –‘Properties window’ which changes the percentage of the actual size of the movieClip/main sprite (e.g. 124 %  X  128%)

I guess that when exporting the swc file, the exporting process only accepts a value of 100% as valid- in a MovieClip, therefore, when exporting the swc file the dimensions were reset. So what I did was changing the elements within the movieClip without modifying the percentage of it, and it works...

I hope I was clear in my explanation. :Sweatdrop:

Now, I have another question...this fixed file will run in the Playbook or should I submit it additionally as a different file bundle/ with different name for the BB Dev. 10? What would be the next step?

Thanks a lot for your support!

Please use plain text.
Developer
pyth
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane
My Carrier: Outer Space

that depends on you. either you create one application which can be on both playbook and bb10 or you create separate files - with one file, you have to write your code only once, with two you can differentiate better (like when it comes to the later BB10 series, M, N,...)

e.g. the line [SWF(height="1280", width="768", frameRate="60",backgroundColor="#000000")]

you can easily leave it at playbook specs (1024x768) and then set your stage values according to the current capabilities of your device (see flash.system.Capabilities)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
karisewer

Thanks for your answer. I think I will create two files , as you said, so that I can differentiate better. 

Regards,

=D

Please use plain text.