Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Confusing reviews

[ Edited ]

Hey everyone,

So my app is on the App World now after a huge amount of work. But it definitely didn't get the reception I would have hoped for.. It has a couple mainly cosmetic bugs, I still saw it as being fit for use though, if I had a PlayBook I would use it without complaints. Yet I have this review:

0.5/5 stars

"not trying to be mean but this app should NOT be in the app world. improve it"

Should this review be denied? I'm not sure what to do. This makes my app sound awful and useless when it's definitely not.

Next I have "abit slow sometimes and it dosent add contacts from my bb". I don't have my free PlayBook yet, so I haven't tested it on it, but on Windows here it's extremely smooth. And the program doesn't have any reason to be slow. No complex animations and I think my code's efficiency is ok. But I guess having problems on the actual PlayBook that developers don't know about until they get their own is something almost everyone here is going to have? Also, what do they mean it doesn't add contacts from their BlackBerry? Is that even possible? Is this something new in the SDK?

These results are definitely disappointing, but I don't want to deny the reviews if I shouldn't.

EDIT: Also, even though I have reviews, the number of downloads of my app on the download report is 0. Why would that be?

Another edit: Would it be best for my apps reputation if I removed it from sale for now?

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: BB Playbook
My Carrier: ---

Re: Confusing reviews

Hi Kai001,

You are not alone. Some of us developers had several problems with our apps behaving oddly in the Playbook hardware.

In my case I have a game (which wasn't free) that after real hardware testing showed lags and low framerate that were not visible on the simulator (thanks to benjismith for providing real hardware for remote testing as I am international developer so I don't have the Playbook yet). I did ~5 sales total, but after realizing the bugs I was having, I immediately removed it from sales and will put it back as soon as i have those resolved.

We must understand that END USERS don't even know/care about us not having real hardware to test our products. They just know that they are paying (in case of paid apps) or downloading (free apps) and they expect our products to be compelling and fully functional. This of course is unfair.  

I suggest for you to remove it from sales until you can test on the hardware and solve the bugs properly. One bad review can mean a lot of things for your app, most people will not buy your app if they see bad reviews (this is pretty common in app world, where phone developers are always claiming that non-deserved bad reviews kill apps).

As for the BB contacts, the users expect for your app to do all "marvelous" native functionality. I think the user was referring to that specific feature without knowing that we cannot do it from the AIR SDK (as far as I know).

Cheers,

-------------------------------------
www.danielwind.net

Playbook App:
Grab Da Crab
Developer
My Device: curve 8900
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

Sometimes I wish we can communicate with the reviewers and ask for better feedback in order to improve our apps. As a developer I've always hated it when someone tells me "It doesn't work"... that is the worst feedback possible but people don't have the patience to explain the problem or just don't know how to.

There's a support email for a reason, it should be the first thing a person does if they have a problem instead of leaving a useless review.

With that being said, you should never release an app if it has noticeable bugs that are easy to reproduce... you're asking for bad reviews.

As for the 0 downloads, the data is always updated around 1am EST and always shows data of the previous day, never the current.

@daniel I don't want to sound mean but "This of course is unfair. , I completely disagree with you. Sure it sucks that we didn't get or PlayBooks ahead of time but no one forced us to release our apps (even though RIM called everyone to tell them to put their apps for sale we weren't obligated to). A simulator almost never performs the same way as a real device would. If an app is released it should be fully functional, at the very least the core functionality has to be there.

--
Bitbox
Developer

@daniel_wind: Thanks so much for the well thought out reply! I've removed the app from the App World for now. I'll add it again later once I've fixed any problems it has when it's run on the actual PlayBook.

It's true that no one forced anyone to release the apps, but part of the advantage of developing before the launch, besides the free PlayBook, is the fact that you can have your app available from the release date. Having a large amount of apps at release is what I would have thought was the idea behind this entire promotion. But, I guess they're bound to get some that would very well even without testing on the actual PlayBook.

I'd also like to add, if I understand you correctly, the core functionality is there. I would never release it if I thought it to be unreliable in any way, but I thought maybe the cosmetic bugs would be overlooked for now. I guess I have to be very strict about even though most minor bugs though.

"With that being said, you should never release an app if it has noticeable bugs that are easy to reproduce" - Sergeh

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely use it! The bug is both noticeable and actually, almost impossible NOT to reproduce in the simulator.
Developer
My Device: curve 8900
My Carrier: Rogers

the comment about the core functionality wasn't referring to your app, it was actually about what daniel said "they expect our products to be compelling and fully functional. This of course is unfair."

Of course they expect it to be fully functional, otherwise it shouldn't be released Smiley Wink

But yeah it's better to iron out all of the noticeable bugs that are fairly easy to reproduce before releasing an app, saves you from having those stupid "it doesn't work" reviews lol

--
Bitbox
Developer

@Sergeh: Ah ok. But in my opinion it does seem odd that they expect it to be fully functional without you having a PlayBook to actually test it on. But as I mentioned, I guess some of them are bound to work. Or at least, work well enough.

Thanks for the replies Daniel_Wind and Sergeh! I'm glad to have gotten this sorted out so quickly.
Developer
My Device: Z10 and Z30
My Carrier: Play and Plus

Yesterday I get my first review:

This app works to track packages but it keeps showing an update is available and then duplicates the app.

3 stars

So that means that application is working ok, but there is problem with App World and that's why I get 3, not 5 stars. It's really unfair for us, developers.

Developer

@Ddluk: That's strange. Although I guess you have to assume that not all users understand what's going on behind all these apps and the app world, and from their point of view maybe they think you have something to do with that problem. Would this be good use for the 'Deny review' button? Has anyone used it?

Developer
My Device: Z10 and Z30
My Carrier: Play and Plus

I used Deny review button several times, mainly for some spam messages in reviews. After using it new ticket appear in vendor portal and then you need to wait for RIM to approve it or deny. 

Developer

@Ddluk: Oh ok, hopefully they'll deny it then.

By the way, does anyone know if, when I make the new version of my app, will the bad reviews still be displayed? Or will I need to deny them? Or are they deleted when I removed the app from sale?