Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
noahnu
My Device: Blackberry Tablet OS
Accepted Solution

Default Apps by RIM on Playbook?

Hello,

what are the default apps by RIM on the tablet? The apps that will come pre-installed?

I'm guessing to begin with:

+ An Email Client

+ Contacts

+ Web Browser

+ Media Player

+ Notes

What else and do you know the features of any of these apps?

From,
Noah NU
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Default Apps by RIM on Playbook?

The distributor of the PB will probably have final say on what gets installed.  For example, if you get your PB from Verizon (in US), you will probably get Verizon specific applications on top of those from BB that they choose.  Minimally, you will get (assumed)

• Browser
  • App World
  • Media Player
  • Photo album
  • Default game(s)

We have no idea about email client.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

It really is a hinderance to developers not knowing what RIM will pre-install.

Imagine spending months creating a feature rich notepad or email client that users will never think to download because RIM put their own on there. Obviously if yours is good enough the users will download it, but it will still be a challenge you'll have to overcome.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.
Developer
noahnu
My Device: Blackberry Tablet OS

I agree, maybe more information will be released soon regarding this information.

From,
Noah NU
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Dont count on it.  When it is released to the general public, then you will know about it.  Personally, I would wait in developing something like an email client unless you have one done in AIR already.  When you see there is none or none that are good, then go for it.  If you have time and you have a passion in this area, then do it.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

There have been some others mentioned in various videos, to one degree or another in terms of officialness.

I believe the Kobo ebook reader will be included.  I'm sure there will be some mapping solution but they've been careful not to say what just yet... keeping their options open.

The Adobe PDF reader will be in there for sure.

I forget if the Documents To Go stuff (RIM bought them) was going to be bundled, or just made available in some fashion, maybe for money.  That might cover off the word processor, spreadsheet, and presentation software side of things right there, which may make sense for a "professional tablet".

Watch a dozen videos and you'll hear about several others that I just don't recall, sometimes with a RIM person mentioning in passing something like "that should be in the product at release".

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

I wonder if it will come with Brick Breaker?

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

Ebscer wrote:

I wonder if it will come with Brick Breaker?

how could it not? it wouldnt be a blackberry device without it! :smileyhappy:

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.