Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
TheDarkIn1978
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A
Accepted Solution

Default Icon Template?

[ Edited ]

ideally, i would like to design my application's icon to reflect that of the default icon and perhaps that of the stock BlackBerry applications that will come bundled on the PlayBook.

this is a long shot, but is there a template available of the transparent cube (see attachment) that developers may use as a base/canvas for their application icons?

Screen shot 2010-12-11 at 10.53.46 AM.png

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Default Icon Template?

i remember hearing something about them providing a PSD file for the icon template in either one of the webcasts or an adobe max presentation. but im curious as to whether or not this is going to happen and when its going to happen as well. hopefully someone from RIM could update us.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
New Developer
ColinHolgate
My Device: PlayBook Simulator

Mimicking the look of the icons shouldn't be too hard, but what would be very nice is to have some apps already in the simulator! Currently there are no other apps to see how their icons look.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
ColinHolgate

Looking at this image:

http://www.1fotech.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/blackberry-playbook-01.jpeg

it seems there's no consistency, other than some of the icons being a box. Even the ones that are a box don't have similar transparency.

Please use plain text.
Developer
TheDarkIn1978
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

sure.  i have seen these images and realized they're not all transparent.  it would be just as useful to have access to a non-transparent cube that would include the drop shadow rather than having to "fake" it.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Please use plain text.
New Developer
leanderlee
My Device: Not Specified

I'd like to know what the deal is here as well. I'm done my app and I need a cool looking icon!

I hope they give this asap.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

I would just create a 72x72 PNG icon.  I would not wait for the template to be given.  Also, it would be nice to have the background cube provided in a EPS file format for vector based icons.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
ColinHolgate

The icon size is 90x90.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

This went back and forth for some time.  The installer does not except 90x90 and the icon is "typicallty" defined in the -app.xml file for the 72x72 icon.  If you can get a 90x90 icon to install, please post your approach.

Please use plain text.
Developer
kdittyr
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

I've had a heck of a time getting the icon ( of my choice ) to work so I have just been using an icon that I created and renaming it to:  blackberry-tablet-default-icon.png and placing it in my sdks/blackberry-tablet-sdk-0.9.1/samples/icons folder.  Before you do this make sure you backup the original before just overwriting it.

Then when I run my command line Install it selects the default icon and installs it with what it thinks is the default...  though it is my icon.  I am fairly sure a fair amount of others are doing the same thing, unless they have actually gotten the icon part to work.

Oh, and for the record the default icon that is provided with the SDK is: 90 x 90 pixels.

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
Please use plain text.