Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi
Accepted Solution

Default application to open ZIP files?

I guess there is none, since ZIP is missing in the QNXApplication.supportedFileTypes.

On the other hand the preloaded File Manager (developed by RIM) handles ZIP files just fine.

Do I need to implement my own ZIP handling if I want to open ZIP files?

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Default application to open ZIP files?

Internal or external to the app?
Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple

External to the app, i.e. file in shared/

But your question made me currious - is there any difference?

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

QuiteSimple, my guess is that they support that only so you can attach .zip files to messages when you send email... I've seen no signs anything built-in can actually open the zip files, nor reports of such.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

The File Manager is a native app. It probably uses the bzip library. You could do it from AIR with an ANE or an AS3 zip lib.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

I use an AS3 library to unzip files (internal to app). If you're looking for a way to allow the user to see the files unzipped, then no at this point. You could display something in your app and show the contents of the zip file and the control the destination of each file (make your own unzip viewer).
Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple

Thanks for all comments. I'll go with my own implementation then. It would be perfect if RIM File Manager was a  standard ZIP handler just for the sake of user experience, but hey - we don't live in a perfect world :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

QuiteSimple wrote:

Thanks for all comments. I'll go with my own implementation then. It would be perfect if RIM File Manager was a  standard ZIP handler just for the sake of user experience, but hey - we don't live in a perfect world :smileyhappy:

No thanks. The standard File Manager can only unzip, it cannot open. Until it can, it should not be the default.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.