Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Sprint

Definition of "Web Launcher"? Somewhat generic description in the Terms and Conditions.

Hello all,

We recently submitted our RSS/Google Reader AIR application to the AppWorld, but it wasn't untill recently that I noticed the terms and conditions state that "web launchers" aren't applicable to the offer.

My question is, is our Atom/Rss/Google Reader app seriously going to be rejected and should we try to work on an alternative application?  I would say that our app will be quite useful to many people and that it's more of an aggregator, but I thought I'd ask.

Your suggestions/opinions are much appreciated.

Tajddin

home.png

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: Definition of "Web Launcher"? Somewhat generic description in the Terms and Conditions.

Just for reference's sake, here's the link to the conditions:

http://us.blackberry.com/developers/tablet/terms_conditions.jsp

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Definition of "Web Launcher"? Somewhat generic description in the Terms and Conditions.

i think by web launcher they were refering to creating an app that simply opens a browser and goes to a website. kind of like creating short cut links on your desktop. when you click on them (icon that looks like a normal file) they simply open your default browser and goes to the linked website.

since your app is an rss reader its not a web launcher becasue its an actual app that doesnt just redirect you to a page on the net. at least thats my take.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

I agree, a web launcher is really just a shortcut to open a certain page in the browser. I think you have nothing to worry about. Nice UI, btw.

I do think that those who can create a working web launcher at this point deserve a PlayBook:smileytongue:

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

I googled for this when I first read it, and determined that a web launcher would be an app that merely launched the system's browser (which doesn't exist yet in the simulator), for one or more predefined pages.  An RSS reader would not be considered a web launcher.

The terms and conditions also mention app's that perform a simple function such as making noise.  Somebody else used the term "sound board" with respect to that, and upon googling that I discovered it's one of those app that simply plays one or more predefined sounds (e.g. the classic "fart app", or ones with various animal sounds).

Those might all be acceptable in App World but wouldn't merit a free PlayBook.

I think if your app has some actual logic and control flow in it, it's very likely to qualify.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!