Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
T55555

Design Question: Close App Button

Hi,

Is there any UI guidlines ?

Does an application always need a "Close (Exit) App" button to close itself ?

I looked at many Playbook demo, most of app did not have a close button;

it seems to me that they get close either by swip to top, or

click the "home" button ? to minimize the app and a "X" button appears on the Top-right corner by the system to allow close the app.  ( you can test this behavior via simulator )

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Mike7081
My Carrier: verizon

Re: Design Question: Close App Button

[ Edited ]

A close button is a waste of screen space and IMHO makes your app look unprofessional. Unless you're making a hello world app you don't need a close button.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Carrier: Verizon

If you have an application bar that hides after a few seconds, a close button in the upper right would be a consistent look since the use would not know intuitively how to close the app without it.  And making them move the application to background to select the system close button is a needless extra step.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Harry_Dodgson
My Carrier: AT&T

Hi,

I was going to put an 'Exit' button on my 'SwipeDown' menu until I realized that a SwipeDown then press takes the same amount of user actions as a SwipeUp and close.  So I took the button/function out of the app.

Harry

--------------
Accepted PlayBook Applications: Marmi-doos, BASIC, Run and Hide
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Carrier: Verizon

Im not a big fan of overly restrictive UI guidelines, but in this area, it would be nice to know how BB would like to see this.  For example, all majority BB mobile applications have a "Close" choice in the menu.  Sometimes it might be the 200th item in the list, but it is there.

So, BB, is the "preferred" method of closing/quitting an application

1) A close/quit/exit button in the application bar

2) Swipe up to access system close button

Please use plain text.
Developer
TheDarkIn1978
My Carrier: N/A

i'm willing to assume that since the swipe-up + close-button gesture is built-in to the system they would prefer we use it.  this is how users will learn to minimize/close applications, so adding your own closing button on a maximized application could be both strange and redundant.

imagine a regular Windows 7 model window with a close button somewhere within the window frame.  it would look pretty silly since there is already a common, well known method for closing the window/application.

has anyone tried closing an application without the swipe-up + close-button gesture?  if there are other open applications what happens?  does it automatically minimize and close?  does it suddenly quit, possibly looking like it crashed?

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Please use plain text.
Developer
Harry_Dodgson
My Carrier: AT&T

A crashed app and a normal close look about the same to me.

--------------
Accepted PlayBook Applications: Marmi-doos, BASIC, Run and Hide
Please use plain text.