Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

eaz
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Detect application permission denied

Hi everyone,

I've been googling around for this but I haven't been able to find anything.

I am currently developing a Playbook app (AIR SDK) that requires the device PIN in order to identify the user and I was wondering if there's a way to detect if the user has allowed/denied the read_device_identifying_information permission. I found that if the user doesn't allow it, Device.device.pin will be null but I was wondering if there was a better way to handle this case.

Also, what's the best way to notify the user he/she won't be able to use the app unless they allow pin to be read by the app? I wasn't able to find any guidelines in this matter.

Thanks,

eaz

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Detect application permission denied

Testing for null is fine. Best to check after a few moments after start (~5 seconds) and if null, alert them of the issue and how to correct it. Similar issue with checking if the shared directory is accessible.
eaz
New Contributor

Thanks jtegen.

So is there a way to redirect the user to the settings page after I show them the error message? I think that would make it easier for the user to give the app the corresponding permissions.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Not currently. Once the invocation schemas are defined, it *might* include those for the settings, but I would not hold your breath. We're still waiting for the schemas for the basic applications and we're 2 months from release.
Highlighted
eaz
New Contributor

Ok then I guess the best solution would be to just show instructions on how to change permissions. Thanks