Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
apman
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

DevAlpha 10.0.9.1103 - slow reactivation from thumbnail

[ Edited ]

When my app gets minimized and I open it up again, a small blue progress bar appears at the bottom of the thumbnail and it takes substantial time (between 5 and 20 seconds!) before the app opens!

Now I'm aware that I haven't spent a lot of time on performance optimization yet, but I had absolutely no such issues before the update to 10.0.9.1103 (and not on the PlayBook either), so I'm wondering if anything has changed in how life cycle managment is done.

Does anyone else get these scrollbars? (the native apps always start up right away)

Any tips on specific things I could look for that might be requiring so much ramp-up time in my apps?

My app : Get set - Get up!   Get ready for the snooze revolution.

Retired
dmalik
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Dev Alpha C, BlackBerry PlayBook

Re: DevAlpha 10.0.9.1103 - slow reactivation from thumbnail

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the troubles you're having. A new update is coming soon. if you send me your .bar I can test it for you and let you know if it's resolved. 

My email is:

dmalik at rim dot com

Cheers,

Dustin

Follow me on Twitter: @dustinmalik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep up to date on BlackBerry development: http://devblog.blackberry.com/
Developer
apman
My Device: Not Specified

Re: DevAlpha 10.0.9.1103 - slow reactivation from thumbnail

[ Edited ]

Thanks to some help from Dustin and from Julian Dolce I've solved my problem.

For everyone else's benefit, here are Julian's suggestions what to look for:

• When applications are minimized the applications window buffers are destroyed to free up memory on the device. So when you maximize it again, it must re-create the window buffers. The activity indicator appears when the system is waiting for the application to post to the window so it can transition it properly to it's maximized state.
  • Somethings that may make this happen more then others is if you are doing any processing in your apps Event.ACTIVATE event. Any processing here or additional rendering may cause it to come up slower.
  • Also, if your application is using gpu renderMode it needs to upload all of the textures back to the GPU. So if there are lots of different textures you may find it will take a while to upload.

In my case the problem was definitely the second point. (I suspect that the timing betwen Event.ACTIVATE and IowWindowEvent.WINDOW_STATE_CHANGED has changed slightly from earlier DevAlpha builds, so that the problem never showed up before)

So the way it's working for me now is this: use an onActivate handler only to turn QNXSystem.system.powerMode back to NORMAL (if you've changed it before). Pack anything else that needs to be done when the app resumes into a separate function and execute when your onWindowStateChanged handler detects IowWindowState.NORMAL.

Thanks again, Dustin & Julian!

My app : Get set - Get up!   Get ready for the snooze revolution.