Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Developer Days in DC report (long post)

I cancelled by ear appointment.  Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
AppStoreLover
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: other

Nice summary. Did you find the App World to be full of apps? Are there atleast 200 apps per category? Did you find any 'empty' categories (like only about 10 apps or so)
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

@appstorelover:  I did not really spend too much time in the app world app.  It does use the larger app logos that are uploaded as part of the vendor portal. It looked nice with a horizontal scroll pane.  It was one of those things that I really did not know how much time I had in playing with the device before they would want it back, a break was over, or if there was someone else that wanted a turn.  So I did a lot of round-robin exploration.  Where I came back, I tried to dig a little deeper.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Hmm, if the large logos are being used I wonder if I should change mine up....

Come to think of it, I think a lot of my apps will be heavily modified once I get a feel for their being downloaded, used, and interacted with on a device.

Thanks again for the report John!

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

Remember, that 480x480 app logo is the first thing consumers will see for your app.  If it does not catch their eye, they will probably scroll right by it (when they are just browsing the store).  Think of it as a CD/Album covers.  480x480 is a good amount of real estate.  I think it still gets resized down some (~300px sq.) because I dont remember if the image was 80% of the screen height (80%x600=480)).

Please use plain text.
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Well, I originally inteded my 480 x 480 icon to be more of a ad than just a logo. However, in app world online it gets shrunk down so much you can't see practically any of it. Now, if on a device it looks more how i planned, than I may leave it. However, we'll just have to see in about two weeks or so.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.
New Developer
daniel_wind
My Device: BB Playbook
My Carrier: ---

Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to post all your notes. Your contribution to the community is highly appreciated.

Cheers,

-------------------------------------
www.danielwind.net

Playbook App:
Grab Da Crab
Please use plain text.
Developer
TheDarkIn1978
My Carrier: N/A

great post.

i really hope RIM seriously considers your global help repository app suggestion.  it's a very smart idea.

as others have previously stated, 55 million devices seems unrealistic.  it's perhaps not a fair comparison due to low population density, but Canada has only 34.5 million residance.  it's probably more accurate to compare it to Apple's iPad first year sales that are around 8 million (acording to a quick google search).

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

As a follow up, it appears that English will be the only language initially offered.  There was not a preference in the device that I used and I was told by RIM that language choices will probably be offered in a later update.

I still encourage that developes localize their apps in preparation for this.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Transcendental_Mobile
My Carrier: QED

A global Help System such that each application can install a help "module" is a very interesting idea, likely with various benefits: UI standardization, provision of help (in HTML form, for example) becomes pretty much merely a declarative process, etc. Even the HTML itself could / must be based on standard template(s).

jtegen wrote:
  • Help.  This was a single application with help for installed apps.  I was told that this was just help for some of the pre-installed apps.  I thought this was an excellent place for all app help systems.  They obviously had a specific format for application help.  I suggested to Garratt that if all apps could package up help in the PB help format schema and add that to the blackberry-tablet.xml file (probably a directory), so an apps help can be packaged and installed to the same help location, and then that would make it easier for end users to know where to get help.  I also suggested that an application should be able to call that help application to their specific help information.  This would assist in BB “Zero Training User Interface”.

Please use plain text.