Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Trusted Contributor
My Device: dev alpha playbook 9500 8300
My Carrier: uc

Developer: let's give more support to the RIM

I have uploaded three playbook applications. two in the list

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/OT-PlayBook-Apps-list/td-p/859649

another is ebook app.

here is my story:

In late January, I saw the playbook introduced on www.blackberry.cn in my country.
Then, I started developing the first playbook for application, the middle of all the difficulties experienced, and ultimately resolved.

I would like to talk about the following:

And as a healthy market, only manufacturers are fully competitive in order to make more people enjoy better service. As a developer,  it is obliged to create such a market also.

As a leading mobile phone manufacturers, RIM will have to face in the Tablet PC Apple, Google competition. As we can see now, Apple  ipad has  a very large advantage in the flat-panel market.

but, For RIM, Software developed so far less than expected 1000, if the app world to reach 4000, still requires great effort.

not like apple's ipad, which is born after iphone & ithouch. The playbook is the QNX operating system, RIM's first generation product,

how to catch up the step of apple.my personal thoughts

First: RIM should encourage developers who had signed application to develop more software for PlayBook.  March 31, time is not much, but for a newbie, "the installation of the environment" and "signature" of the work requires a lot of time.

Second: If possible, as soon as possible, release real Playbook devcie to developers  before public release in April, let  developers do a  comprehensive test .  if no change. the software problems encountered in Apirl , also require the  developer to modify the software. The public users feel the software  full of  bugs also , and will  loss of interest in the playbook as well.

Developers hope that RIM will be better! ! !

Trusted Contributor
My Device: dev alpha playbook 9500 8300
My Carrier: uc

Re: Developer: let's give more support to the RIM

correct . the link is http://cn.blackberry.com/
Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

I agree with your second point, however I disagree with your first. I was totally new to Adobe AIR when I started working on my apps in midst of December, but I managed to get them finished even before the fist February deadline, despite having 6 university exams. There has been plenty of time I think to get the developers on board, the new ones will more likely just be joining for the free PlayBook.
-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer
My Device: Bold 9900/Z10 Special Edition
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

zezke wrote:
I agree with your second point, however I disagree with your first. I was totally new to Adobe AIR when I started working on my apps in midst of December, but I managed to get them finished even before the fist February deadline, despite having 6 university exams. There has been plenty of time I think to get the developers on board, the new ones will more likely just be joining for the free PlayBook.

I think he is referring to total developer newbs, not AIR newbs...At some point we were all newbs to something.

CEO/Lead Developer - Tensioncore™ Design Studios
http://tncr.ws/ - ShortenThis!™ for Blackberry Playbook | ShortenThis!™ for BlackBerry® 10
The Periodical Toe A highly informative Table of Elements
DrawThis! A fun drawing app for the BlackBerry® PlayBook™!
http://www.tensioncore.com/ - Tensioncore™ Web Hosting
Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Still 3 months should be a decent period of time to start working on a simple app. RIM cannot run the offer forever.
-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

I agree 3 months is a lot of time, but I bet there are a lot of developers that can put on few hours a week, and/or has other priorities. Although my app is very simple, I submitted it only on March 1st.

You say RIM cannot run the offer forever, but I think they can. I don't believe they will, but they can extend it even after the launch date. The whole point is that extending the offer doesn't affect those who have their apps already approved, just give an extra chance for those who are late on the game.

In any case, I do believe the extended deadline only happended due the fact the notary/sign process was a problem that was delaying many developers, and not because RIM are behind the 4000 apps.

I'm trying to submit my second application before the launch date because I believe a new market like that will give my app much more attention than on an overcrowded app store like Apple's.

Cheers

(*) Kudo-me if you really think I helped you!
My plug: I'm doing a Mobile Experiment, reported on my Blog: Check it out!.
---------------------------
Paulo Garcia
http://www.mobilecreators.com - Twitter: http://twitter.com/mobilecreators
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

IF, RIM continued the offer, I hope they would up the criteria a lot in terms of quality of the product that would result in receiving a free PB.

Also, it would be helpful if RIM announced application areas that are in need.  You would then see a flood of apps to fill that area (e.g social apps, maping, CRM, etc.)

Lastly, RIM will get to know ISV's by their involvement and apps already submitted.  If they "contracted" or "assisted" in apps to fill certain areas as well, then both would win.

But in general, I agree.  If you're done with your app, start moving on the next one.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint

jtegen what kind of quality criteria do you have in mind and more importantly: Why / how are the current criteria wrong in your opinion? Are you suggesting you've seen apps that are in your opinion not worthy of receiving a free PlayBook but yet got awarded one? 

I have 2 apps up for approval now and I have more planned but I need proper filesystem support and a camera API before i can even get started.

In my opinion the best encouragement possible would be for any developer deemed eligible to receive a PlayBook to get it as soon as humanly possible. Preferrably even before the device is available at retail outlets. We can do a fair amount of stuff with the simulator but I'm convinced that the really good apps will only come when developers have access to the actual hardware.

I can't speak for everyone but personally i feel I've only just gotten started. Having the physical hardware is going to get me to do some REALLY good apps. 

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Developer
My Device: 9530, 9550, 9630

jtegen wrote:

Also, it would be helpful if RIM announced application areas that are in need.  You would then see a flood of apps to fill that area (e.g social apps, maping, CRM, etc.)

1000% Agree with that.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

@themaco2:  The free playbook offer for the current timeframe is fine.  What I meant was that IF a new offer of a free PB was to be offered (lets say for the next year) for new developers to develop a new application for the device, I felt that the bar should be raised for that set of developers (not the current set).  We all took the risk and time to iron out the system and are being rewarded for that effort by receiving a free PB.  Assuming the 1.0+ SDKs are running smoothly, I felt that the quality or quantity of applications should be greater for the next set of free PB.  In as much that once we all get the PB, our apps quality and quantity of features may increase.  My comment was based on a risk and reward system.  Greater the risk - the greater the reward.  The risk will be less for a developer who joins in 6 months from now, so their effort should be greater to receive the same reward.  Keep in mind, there has been no mention about a second offer from RIM.  $0.02.

RIM has already defined the bar in which an application will receive a free PB this go around.  I feel that the current bar is at a good height.