Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
DachFlach
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Developer: let's give more support to the RIM

I had two apps submitted before the first deadline. Testing out the capabilities.

I only got a response recently on One saying.. it don't work

No response on the other. maybe it worked even less!

All I know is, it works on other devices and within the expected results of the Sim (ugh).

I am not in such a desperate need of a Prototype PlayBook to submit app after app without getting a real response.

If they did not have the capabilities promised in the beginning but they do now, then I guess it is my tough luck as I am not submitting apps again without hardware to test it on.

Lost time = lost money. Thanks for nothing RIM. Not that they would ever hear this anyways.

Oh, they also did not reply to my response to the    "It don't work"   statement.

What doesn't Work,    is Me   for RIM    for Free

Please use plain text.
Developer
ahazdesigns
My Device: 9530, 9550, 9630

DachFlach wrote:

I had two apps submitted before the first deadline. Testing out the capabilities.

I only got a response recently on One saying.. it don't work

No response on the other. maybe it worked even less!

All I know is, it works on other devices and within the expected results of the Sim (ugh).

I am not in such a desperate need of a Prototype PlayBook to submit app after app without getting a real response.

If they did not have the capabilities promised in the beginning but they do now, then I guess it is my tough luck as I am not submitting apps again without hardware to test it on.

Lost time = lost money. Thanks for nothing RIM. Not that they would ever hear this anyways.

Oh, they also did not reply to my response to the    "It don't work"   statement.

What doesn't Work,    is Me   for RIM    for Free

what was the app?

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

The might be crashing at startup because they might be running with a later version of the simulator or device.  I have had an app crash in 093 that worked fine in 092 because of a runtime API change.

Please use plain text.
Developer
DachFlach

Yes, well without the Testers useful feedback..  we'll never know.

Please use plain text.
Developer
TheMarco
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB

"It don't work".

Hmmm I sure hope I get a better response in case there's something wrong with my apps.

Hell that's the worst response from a tester I've ever seen.

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Please use plain text.
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)

DachFlach wrote:

Yes, well without the Testers useful feedback..  we'll never know.

I definitely agree that they are very vague with feedback, but if the app did not load or do anything, what more could be given? Are they able to see what sdk it was compiled with, and have you tried resubmitting after compiling with the latest sim/sdk?

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.
Developer
Wingflap
My Device: Bold 9650 and Playbook 16gb

[ Edited ]

bdaemon wrote:

"I'm trying to submit my second application before the launch date because I believe a new market like that will give my app much more attention than on an overcrowded app store like Apple's."

Don't get me wrong.  I'm pumped about the idea of a free Playbook.  That in my mind is one of the rewards for developing in the dark.  The simulator was very helpful, but certainly lacked some crucial functionality to take a chance on digging real deep into the API - especially with regard to specific hardware hooks..

I had intended to try to develop an app with the Webworks SDK, but figured that while I was waiting, I'd give Actionscript 3.0 a try.  In the time I would have spent waiting for Webworks, I dove into Actionscript and the AIR API.  It turned out to be both frustrating and fun.  Reward #2 was discovering this community because of all of the timely and accurate help everyone gives.  Reward #3 was learning Actionscript at a level that has made me an actual Air developer (which I wasn't prior to this).

But, in my mind, the greatest reward is the ability to showcase apps and talent in an emerging market as opposed to an oversaturated market.  Since the Playbook runs a different OS than the phones, the market is basically a clean slate.  Given that RIM's market has traditionally been corporate, the chances of being noticed as a developer by someone of technical and business substance is far greater than on other platforms. 

Since you can only download Playbook apps (correct me if I'm wrong) once you have a Playbook, the first people to see your apps will be actual developers, IT decision makers, and early adoptors.  Personally, until I conceive the next 'killer' app, this is the audience I'm looking for.

While I'm really excited about getting my Playbook (my app is in the testing phase with RIM right now - fingers crossed), I'm also excited about the exposure in a market that I hope will take off.  For those who are in it soley for the Playbook, it's not a bad deal either. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Approved Apps: Barry Black

Loving my new Playbook!
Please use plain text.
Developer
zezke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition)

Just out of curiosity, what kind of app are we talking about here? Did you test with the latest simulator?

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Please use plain text.
Developer
br14

I know of several developers still awaiting approval responses. So my guess is there will be enough apps at launch.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Wingflap
My Device: Bold 9650 and Playbook 16gb

Once approved, I'll pull the cover off the app :smileywink:  Functionally speaking, however, I developed an app that:

• Uses multpile 'pages'.
  • Tweens between the pages.
  • Uses a dialog to warn of data usage fees only on first use.
  • Presents the user with an About page with a EULA link and an 'I Accept' button that, if not pressed, won't allow the user to procede to use the app.
  • Reorients and resizes correctly for chainging from landscape to portrait and back.
  • Appropriately changes the heights and positions of labels within containers when the label's text changes.
  • Adds scrolling when content will extend beyond a container.
  • Uses a swipe-down app menu.
  • Alerts the user if connection is not present.
  • Updates some app data from an external source via XML.

I decided that for my first Playbook app, I'd rather not simply port an existing app to this environment, but use the offer to learn how to create an app that actually looks like it belongs on the Playbook.

From what I've seen from screenshots in App World to a few videos that have been posted for approved apps on Youtube, it looks like I wasn't alone in taking advantage of the Playbook API.

<digression>Check out the Youtube video on TAT's Scrapbook App.  I found that extremely inspirational</digression>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Approved Apps: Barry Black

Loving my new Playbook!
Please use plain text.