Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
attenuatedspirit
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9320 3G

Developing BB10 Apps using Air

Hi all,

We are currently about to build a team for developing BB10 apps (focus more on Enterprise/Rich media-Publishing Apps).  We zeroed in on AIR platform based on following consideration that Cascades required new training on C++/Qt and for Webworks( too many frameworks  no common ground, product/tooling support)  and also people here are fluent with flex. 

I write this post to ask you all to pour in your advice, expertise so that this can help us and the BB10 Air community

1. How good is flex support on BB10 (Support on Flex mobile components. Can be used??)

2. Compatibility of AIR runtime as BB10 SDK 3

3. Pointers for using AS3 BB10 components in MXML

4. Testing Considerations

Any other advice/resources would also help..

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Re: Developing BB10 Apps using Air

I would stay away from Flex/MXML for BB10 development. BB10 AIR controls are not supported for MXML and are AS3 classes only. So the development is more OO than XML for GUI layouts. Some people use Flex mobile components, but I am not certain how they look and behave on BB10 denser screen.

AIR 3.1 is supported for BB10 SDK controls.

Testing in the simulator or actual device works very well if you are using FB 4.6

This forum is a great resource, please there is a lot on the web for basic AS questions.
Developer
spoutnik
My Device: DevAlpha, PlayBook

Hi,

You can go with MXML as long as you do not want to use the QNX components. This is perfectly fine for apps like games or somewhere where you want your own style. If you want the BB10 look and feel you have to code the UI in actionscript. But now there is also CSS support so it is really no big problem.

To get a better idea you can take a look at this video from Julian:

http://hosting.desire2learncapture.com/RIM/1/watch/62.aspx

there are also great examples on github:

https://github.com/blackberry/Samples-for-AIR/tree/bb10

I can only say the best about working with Flex on BlackBerry 10. The performance is great, the tools work well.. only problem is that for BlackBerry the focus lies on Native and HTML5. 

Cheers,

Toby

New Developer
attenuatedspirit
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9320 3G

Thanks mate... u provided a great resource for the team to start over... any more resources/links would help... cuz google search is not helping (very less result for air and bb10 collabratively)