Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
shethab
My Device: Not Specified

Development in eclipse

So my 60 day Adobe Flash Builder Burrito 4.5 trial expired and i prefer to not buy this. Is there a way to configure eclipse to do the development? I would like to make the development process as simple and automated as possible  even it means putting extra effort to get eclipse setup. Any help would be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Development in eclipse

Have not heard that this is possible with just the core eclipse.  Basically, you want to make your own FB4.x.  Think you have to develop some of their plug-ins. 

Guess I would start to find an open source plugin for Eclipse. 

Here is one source that might be something: http://www.easyeclipse.org/site/plugins/index.html

Depending in what you think your hourly rate is your break even point to make vs. buy would be:

$50/hour: 14 hours

$25/hour: 28 hours

Plus the time lost in not developing apps for PB.  There is 1-2 apps that could be done in that amount of time.  Plus the time to maintain it.

Please use plain text.
Developer
daviesjm
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

@shetab

You can at least use Eclipse as your editor and rely on the command line SDK tools for compilation and deployment.  I'm close to the same situation as well.  Flash Builder may be nice, but can't justify the cost at this point. Since my development is a hobby on my spare time, time != $$$ at this point.  And you wouldn't want to buy Flash Builder at this point yet anyway.  The "Burrito" version needs to be released before I would even consider that route.

However, if your are developing for a company, then most certainly you can make the business case to have them purchase the tools you need.

Good luck and post back with your progress.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Creator of the Idea Catch PlayBook application

My favorite Apple product is apple sauce.
Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

[ Edited ]

See this post.

Edit:  And BTW, while you can develop with a free syntax highlighting editor and the command line tools, one benefit of using an IDE that is hard to argue against is that it gives you code hinting for undocumented class library elements.  The SDK's ASDocs should (theoretically) give you all you need to use the class library, but that depends on whether the coders remembered to include all the proper metacomments in the code to auto generate the documentation.  Sometimes the metacomments slip through a crack unintentionally.

Please use plain text.