Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
vitalyx
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Tele2

Difference between qnx.fuse.ui and qnx.ui?

Hello guys!

I'm new to Playbook development, Flash and Air. Could you please explain what's the difference between these two sets of components? The docs for them look exactly the same.

Best webOS stock market app comes to Playbook: Top Stocks
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Difference between qnx.fuse.ui and qnx.ui?

qnx.ui was the 1.x version of the AIR library for the device. qnx.fuse.ui is the 2.x version. The main difference is that many of the control have a different look. It has not been announced, but probably at some point, 1.x will be phased out or not supported. If you are creating a new app, use the qnx.fuse.ui API. Those app using qnx.ui should probably migrate to qux.fuse.ui at some point. You can (for the most part) interchange between the two frameworks, but it is best not to use the same object (e.g. TextInput) in the same class/view (gets messy).
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Another key difference is you can't take advantage of spell-checking and the predictive typing feature unless you use Fuse.

I think they've also fixed some design flaws that the original package had in terms of layout support (containers etc).

Basically, use fuse, and if you were a developer who had written something with ui instead, migrate to fuse as soon as possible unless your app will never need any of the new features and you don't really plan to support it in future.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
vitalyx
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Tele2

[ Edited ]

@jtegen Thank you for the explanation. I was using the old ui (turns out) because when using fuse components I get this error:

ReferenceError: Error #1065: Variable qnx.fuse.ui.skins::smileyfrustrated:kinAssets is not defined.

There is another poster asking about this, but there is no reply:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/Variable-qnx-fuse-ui-skins-SkinAs... 

EDIT: Never mind. I figured it out. Just added a missing SWC.

@peter9477 Good point. Glad I asked early :smileyhappy: I wonder if they added something like anchor or margin properties in new components? These would greatly help bring resolution independence to the UI. Setting fixed positions is so old school.

Best webOS stock market app comes to Playbook: Top Stocks
Please use plain text.
Developer
zezke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

I still have problems getting the fuse variant of Image working properly. Anyone else?

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

zezke, I'd suggest a new thread, since many people who could answer may not see updates to this thread.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
krealian
My Device: Torch 9800

I have the same problem and actually made a thread about this issue. Unfortunately it didn't help much and there's still no solution or explanation why it doesn't work.

Please use plain text.