Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
philipm
My Device: 9800

Differences between Mobile & Desktop AIR

Hi

Im just about to start a project using adobe AIR/flex for the blackberry playbook, I have a few questions:

1. If I develop an application for the playbook, will the same application be able to run on a desktop? If so will there be any differences?
  2. What is the difference between the desktop and mobile libraries? Can I only access a subset of the SDK on the mobile device compared to the desktop?
  3. Can I create a playbook application that can call methods to a JAVA back end, located on my server?
Thanks
Phil

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Re: Differences between Mobile & Desktop AIR

1. Some QNX classes do not work on the desktop.  This includes things like TextInput, QNXApplication, Device, Dialog, etc.  They are dependent on a service that only runs on the OS.

2. It all depends.  You can do a full Mobile app in AIR/Flex and it will run on the simulator.  There are some pros and cons to this approach, but in general it will work OK.

3. AIR/Flex has several classes that can call remote backend systems via a normal HTTP/S, REST, WebServices, RemoteObjects, etc.  It does not know or care that the backend is done in Java.

Hope that helps.

Contributor
philipm
My Device: 9800

Cheers

Developer
thesmileman
My Device: Playbook

My app runs fine as a desktop app but I don't use any of the qnx classes
New Developer
daniel_wind
My Device: BB Playbook

@phillipm

Just for extending jtegen comment, as for item #3 you could use BlazeDS - AMF protocol for enhanced Java - AIR communication

http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/blazeds/BlazeDS

Thanks,

-------------------------------------
www.danielwind.net

Playbook App:
Grab Da Crab