Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
XoomMan
My Device: PlayBook

Re: Digital Compass or Gyroscope

[ Edited ]

brentcameron wrote:

flash.events.AccelerometerEvent. provides rotation around all three axis's...  Rotation around the X axis is pitch (measured by changes in AccelerationX). Rotation around the Y axis is roll (measured by changes in AccelerationY) and rotation around the Z axis is yaw (measured by changes in AccelerationZ).   No API's yet for the gyroscope (which would be useful in order to bring the rotations back to a zero point).  

That isn't correct. AccelerationX gives acceleration along the x-axis, measured in G's. Not rotation. And the same for the other axes. If you rotate a PlayBook that is flat on a table you can't detect the rotation with the accelerometer. If you pick up the same PlayBook you will see a change in AccelerationZ when you pick it up. I wrote an app that displays the raw Accelerometer data and I can see that.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
marshallm

I just did the same with my PlayBook and will confirm that you're correct here. You can retrieve some useful data, however I do not believe it would be enough to make an augmented reality style app, or something of that nature.

Please use plain text.
Developer
XoomMan

marshallm wrote:
I just did the same with my PlayBook and will confirm that you're correct here. You can retrieve some useful data, however I do not believe it would be enough to make an augmented reality style app, or something of that nature.

My app that gives raw accelerometer data also simulates a bullseye bubble level. I don't know if that qualifies for an augmented reality style app but it acts like the real thing to me.:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.