Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
AppStoreLover
My Device: PlayBook

Does PlayBook support Auto-Rotation Landscape/Portrait?

Can apps be programmed to adjust the 'stage' based on the device handling orientation 'auto-rotation'?

So far, I have not seen a single demo of the PlayBook running in Portrait mode??

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Does PlayBook support Auto-Rotation Landscape/Portrait?

It will support auto-orientation, but the current SDK does not support it and, as you noticed, nobody has yet seen an app demoed even by RIM that supports it.  Presumably a work in progress, but will definitely be there by launch.

In the meantime, we have been advised to try to use Containers and such to manage the layout, to avoid the problems caused by absolute positioning everything in an app when it gets rotated.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

hey,

yes the AIR based apps for the playbook will be fully equipped and able to hand screen orientations using methods such as the stage object such as this:

// support autoOrients
stage.align = StageAlign.TOP_LEFT;
stage.scaleMode = StageScaleMode.NO_SCALE;

and also this:

switch (stage.deviceOrientation) 
{ 
    case StageOrientation.DEFAULT: 
        trace("Default orientation."); 
        break; 
    case StageOrientation.ROTATED_RIGHT: 
        trace("Rotated right."); 
        break; 
    case StageOrientation.ROTATED_LEFT: 
        trace("Rotated left."); 
        break; 
    case StageOrientation.UPSIDE_DOWN: 
        trace("Upside down."); 
        break; 
    case StageOrientation.UNKNOWN: 
        trace("Unknown."); 
        break; 
} 

but for now its recommended to lock in your orientation to landscape until we can fully test out how it will look in protrait mode. this will be possible when the simulator supports orientation or when we get hte actaul device which ever comes first.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
taylortbb
My Device: Bold 9900 + PlayBook

The last webcast did have a method for testing your app in portrait. Swap the SWF's width and height then set the rotation on your main class to 90 degrees. Your app will appear sideways, and the bezel gesture areas won't rotate, but it does let you see how your app gets laid out.
--------
Taylor Byrnes