Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
daviesjm
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Does graphic design matter?

Mark,

First off, I hope you get plenty of design business. It is a service that will be valuable to many. Some of the challenges facing many of the independent developers here are: money, design tools, design talent. That last point is not a knock on us developers. It is just reality that in the developer community, it is rare to have a good programmer with artistic talent. Personally, I do have the interest, and I will be improving my ability to make applications that are more pleasing to the eye, but I know my limitations.  First class applications need first class design and when we start putting applications up for sale, an investment in an artist will pay off nicely.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Creator of the Idea Catch PlayBook application

My favorite Apple product is apple sauce.
Please use plain text.
Developer
T55555
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Cool. Good to know artist ...

Yes, not every developer has artist talent.

For my application, the most difficult part for me is the graphic design.

It is not the developer doesn't want their app to be beautiful, it is, we need to consider the cost of application.

At the beginning, there is no sale, how can you justify to spend money on UI beauty?

Sometime, it is kind of "testing the market"; you cannot predict your the idea/app will be very successful and start invest money on it. (In fact, you already invest your time and tools )

So, you will try to minimize the cost as much as possible.

( of course, there is always exception, if you truly believe your app is killer app ... )

Game involve many things: idea, graphic, sound and programming are the main things.

It seems to me that the "sound" designer is even harder to find than "graphic" designer.

Developer always try to upgrade their app version, if app keeps sale well.

So, graphic & sound can consider later on upgrade.

But the problem is catch 21, without good graphic & sound, the app may not sale well...

So, my suggestion to Graphic & Sound designer is like:

Understand such developer's "thought" and thinking a good ecosystem.

Instead of charge big $$ to do a very good graphic & sound design,

maybe have a "gradual" contract  ( my idea) ....

If you see the app is very good application but poor graphics, maybe contact the developer and offer "gradual" contract: 

(1) Charge little money to improve a bit the graphic/sound design.

App sale good, developer keep invest...

(2) Charge higher money to give even better graphic/sound design.

App sale good, developer keep invest...

(3) .... Keep repeat the gradual contract.

==> win-win situation.

This is just my 2 cents.

---------------------
a) If you like my response/post, please provide a Kudo (white star to the left).
b) If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button.
Playbook Applications: Chinese Calendar and Zodiac, Peg Solitaire!

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

[ Edited ]

Always a catch-22.  If the user has a poor user-experience (due in part for a poor UI), will they come back after an upgrade to the UI occurs?  Unlikely unless there are no competitions and/or there is some marketing effort to let users (especially previous ones) know about it. 

If the user experience is good (due in part to a good UI), they are more likely to stay with the product, try other titles from the same development house.

A product "success" depends on end user usage.  More demanding users will request new "features".  Rarely would a typical end user email a development house and say "I would buy your product if you make the UI better".  They typically email "I need XYZ feature".

I know it costs money to pay someone to do a good graphic design.  But there are several good UI vector packages and it can simply take picking good complementary colors, gradients and drop shadows.  There are also a lot of websites where you can buy EPS graphics that are really good for ~$30 a graphic.

So there is no real excuse in giving a poor UI experience.  Think of it as a hurdle like signing the app.  Think of it as a learning experience to expand your capabilities.  But most of all, think of it from the perspective of your customer.  Would you use your own app? Would you buy your own app?  He!!, even the farting app had a nice button.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

What John said.

Contrast this one with a crude, somewhat unfriendly UI (functional, but yuck) with this one which has some attention to design, look-and-smell, and user friendliness.  (Both are on phones, not the PlayBook.)  I'd buy the latter, and not just because it's a third the price.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

@peter.  Great examples.

Please use plain text.
Developer
T55555

Good point!  Thanks John & Peter.

Please use plain text.
Developer
T55555

[ Edited ]

Also take a look about both app, a bit analyze:

They both release close. (~ year 2009)

One seems never update still on version 1.0.0.0

other update to version 1.7.3.5

The one is not only having good graphic, it is also cheaper.

And it seems to me that it has also more features/functionalities.

It is not difficult to guess which one will make more money...

Mm.... I may consider update my application's price...

---------------------
a) If you like my response/post, please provide a Kudo (white star to the left).
b) If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button.
Playbook Applications: Chinese Calendar and Zodiac, Peg Solitaire!

Please use plain text.
Developer
RufusA

@jtegen et al - I agree that UI design is important / key.

I know from other development areas that you can do something that is functionally excellent, but you just misalign one label by two pixels, or make a spelling mistake somewhere and forever more that will be the only thing the users comment on.

I personally think that it shouldn't necessarily be about "employing a graphics designer". Why not work with a graphics designer as a team and produce something excellent. You both take equal risks and hopefully equal rewards.

Rufus.

Please use plain text.
Developer
lrrm
My Device: Playbook (sim)
My Carrier: Base

oh, didn't RIM said in their design/development guidlines that they don't want one button apps like those two mentioned above... does RIM know what RIM wants?

btw. designer -> me2, anyone else?

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My App: Peg Solitaire

Need a designer? Drop me a line
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

lrrm wrote:

oh, didn't RIM said in their design/development guidlines that they don't want one button apps like those two mentioned above... 

No, once again, they said for the free PlayBook offer that apps that are that simple would not be eligible to receive the free PlayBook.

Such apps can still be submitted and accepted into App World.  They just are unlikely to get anyone a free PlayBook.

Approval != Eligibility

What's required is (Approval && Eligibility) == true

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.