Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
lrrm
My Device: Playbook (sim)
My Carrier: Base
Accepted Solution

Does graphic design matter?

Hi,

I'm currently developing an app for the playbook as many of you do too. I've checked the app world when I started to design the app. I haven't found the app in the store at that moment.

Now I've rechecked the appworld searching for "playbook" and you can imagine what I've found. Now I'm asking myself if RIM want's to push the sells of the playbook with easily ported, ugly looking, flash 6 apps. Seriously, I've seen some apps that look like someone copied it from a website and gave it a little workover just to grab one of the free playbooks. There's nothing wrong with that practice, it's not forbidden, but I'm really asking myself if it's good or not for the success of the playbook.

There must be a lot of guys who can do it better. What are your thoughts about this process?

Cheers

lrrm

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My App: Peg Solitaire

Need a designer? Drop me a line
Please use plain text.
Developer
JohnPinkerton
My Device: Curve 8900 (Personal) / Bold 9650 (Work)
My Carrier: Regional

Re: Does graphic design matter?

In any online app market there is always "cruft". There are a couple threads were this has been brought up.

I think until better developer resources are made available we might have to deal with some of the cruft for now. Having said that, I'll be first to admit - my submitted app does not have much for "sex appeal" but functions and does it's job.

Please use plain text.
Developer
lrrm
My Device: Playbook (sim)
My Carrier: Base

I know it from other markets too. But I was astonished to see that RIM didn't "corrected" this. The device hasn't hit the market at the moment... so it should be possible ...

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My App: Peg Solitaire

Need a designer? Drop me a line
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Function vs. beauty.  Both are needed.  It takes time to get an app to "look good".  A lot of time.  Many here are new to Action Script and even new to programming, so just getting the basics to work is an accomplishment for many.  But since many have been able to complete that task and have an app available in app world, I would suggest that everyone take a good, objective look at the UI and application flow.  Can you do better?  In some cases, it is best to start with a new project for the same app and just work on the UI and then fold in the functionality from the old project.

If you are in this for the long term, you will need to develop a "brand" to your products. It is best to develop that brand now before the competition gets too thick.

For those new to UI design, one method is to "story board" your app without a single line of code.  Draw it out on paper.  If you have multiple screens, how do you get from one screen to another?  Draw out all your elements to minimize white space.  This approach will save a lot of time in coding and will make your customer wanting to buy more from you.

Please use plain text.
Developer
daviesjm
My Device: Z10

My application was not pretty.  It actually did take quite a bit of time to get the functionality working the way I liked it and get the UI to at least make some sense.  While i have it approved and it could be released for download in its current form, I just am not content with its appearance to do so quite yet. I have been through many incarnations of the UI and have finally settled into a flow that is both easy to use and useful.  Still, it looks pretty plain.

I'm not a graphic artist, and the tools we have at the moment don't make building a pretty app easy. Fortunately, I know an artist who is going to create some assets for me to spice it up a bit.

When I release this thing in the next couple weeks, and it only gets a handful of downloads, will I be disa pointed?  Maybe a little, but what will make me very proud and happy is that I will have an application that I will use every day on my new PlayBook. And with my new PlayBook it will be even more likely that I create more apps that I will use every day and that others will find useful as well.

The moral of my story... Create those ugly, useful apps.  Jump into this interesting development community. Over time, you will learn how to make pretty and useful apps.  If you are lucky, you may also earn enough to fund your hobby (or maybe retirement).

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Creator of the Idea Catch PlayBook application

My favorite Apple product is apple sauce.
Please use plain text.
Developer
ahazdesigns
My Device: 9530, 9550, 9630

see i have the problem of being newer to coding lol. was a theme developer for the past couple years so graphic design isnt much of a hurdle.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

[ Edited ]

If a "developer" needs graphics assistance and there are some here that know how to create icons, backgrounds, borders, etc. then post your needs or services.

Better apps = more users = more apps bought = more apps developed = better apps

Please use plain text.
Developer
ahazdesigns
My Device: 9530, 9550, 9630

exactly, i have no problem trying to help someone out (since ive gotten a ton of help here)

Please use plain text.
Developer
nobleRobot
My Device: Free Playbook!
My Carrier: n/a

I'm a designer by trade, so I too cringe a little when I see all these design-less, or worse, "fugly-try-too-hard" designs, especially for games. But when I feel that way, I quickly realize that for many of these apps, design isn't paramount. Even in the case of games, I have to give a lot of slack to the current developer population, most of whom are not ActionScript developers.

But on the other hand, I think that the problem is *not* that there are too few designer/developers (although there are to few of us) but that many developers are simply not interested in design, and have no desire to hire on a designer.

Of course, this is all a pretext to me offering my services! If anyone is looking for graphics or logos or icons or anything for their project, check out my website and feel free to contact me.

http://www.mark-lacroix.com

http://www.mark-lacroix.com/contact

My game: "Operators: The Game with Two Sides"

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/28430?lang=en

mark-lacroix.com | Operators: the game with two sides
Please give me Kudos if I've earned it!
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen