Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
kmitchell
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9780, PlayBook 16GB, PlayBook 32GB
Accepted Solution

Email capabilities?

Its a new year!!! Time to design the next app as I wait to see if my first app is approved :smileyhappy:  ... like the rest of us, I'm thinking.

Just a simple question..... is it possible to email directly from the Playbook without going through a server? If that is possible, would it have an unique "from" email address?

Right now, I'm thinking I must go through an email server to do this; a web service.

Please use plain text.
Developer
zezke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition)

Re: Email capabilities?

I very much doubt that this is going to happen, you should consider just relying on a mail server from the start.

And I am not designing my second app currently since I still need to make some modifications to the first one, but I need an updated SDK. I do have some briljant ideas already, if I may say so myself!

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Correct, you cannot email out from PB.  You have to send your email to some server to email out.  The final PB will have sync functionality with BB cell phones.  The idea here is that someone on a BB phone would push their email to the PB for larger manipulation and then send it back via the BB.  Even the BB phones are just clients to some email server.

Until the BB phone sync API is available (along with calendar and contact management), you will have to create your own access to an email server.

Please use plain text.
Developer
kmitchell
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9780, PlayBook 16GB, PlayBook 32GB

Thanks ZEZKE and John,

I sorta expected as much, just wishful thinking  there for  awhile.   I'll design with a middle layer in mind.

Keith

Please use plain text.
carolynht23
My Device: tour

I have a company email account and 3 personal accounts on my bold 9700.  Is there anyway the personal emails do not appear on my Business email account on the BB.   each personal account does not show the other emails, but the main one does..

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

@carolynht23:  I am not totally certain what you are asking since nothing has been officially released in how this will work on an API level.  But I would have to assume that any email account defined on the BB phone will be accessible from the PB.  I would also have to assume that if you are composing a new email on the PB that each account (FROM email address) would be available via the API/SDK.

Please use plain text.
Developer
zezke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition)

John, I am not sure he is at all talking about the Playbook. It looks a lost BB help seeker.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

jtegen wrote:

Correct, you cannot email out from PB.  You have to send your email to some server to email out.

By the way, it appears the only two reasons you can't do this are:

1. There's no included library to handle sending mail via SMTP... though this could easily be done with a third-party package.  (I have no idea what such packages are available for ActionScript.)
  2. The flash.net.dns.DNSResolver class is not support.  Unfortunately this appears to be the real killer, since if we could use this we could look up MX records to find the destination host to use for a given email address, and then by finding or writing (not a hard task) a package to handle SMTP itself we could simply send the mail directly.

I suppose if you did want direct transmission of mail (not necessarily a good idea though, since you then have to take responsibility for retries etc), you could find or build a web service that can do the MX record lookup for you.

There are easier approaches, I think.  One might be to require the user to enter credentials for an existing system, like gmail, and send out through that.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

SMTP protocol is pretty straight forward and the connections to an email server is just socket connections to a host and specified port.  But you will (as you said) need to retain host,port and login credentials to the email server.  Depending on the email server (yours vs. 3rd party), you may have to deal with client authentication so it does not look like you're tying to use them as a relay for spam.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

John, even if you use an email server you set up for your own purposes, I hope you'll have to deal with client authentication anyway!  Unless you do that or have some other way to block others from using it, you are running an open relay, and those get blocked pretty quickly these days with the use of realtime block lists and such, not to mention they're just a really bad idea. :smileyhappy:

By the way, if someone does want to do this directly (and mails sent directly to a single predefined location can definitely be done this way without the DNS MX record lookup), you can find a few ActionScript SMTP libraries on Google.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.