Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Re: Email capabilities?

@peter9477: Agreed.  The SMTP servers I've done have been server based to a user's own email server (instead of the localhost one), but they were always required to provide login/password information (along with host,port and method) on my side to prevent open relays.

I am still having mixed thoughts about the only conduit to email and such will be via a BB phone.  I understand BB thought on this in terms of a business model, but I think there are lots of users out there that might want a PB that dont like/have BB phone.  I hope the PB can be a standalone device and/or play nicely to other phone manufacturers.

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Actually the particularly limitation I was pointing out is only for AIR apps, and maybe not one that will persist in the longer term (i.e. maybe they can add the DNSResolver support and some other "not on mobile devices" features back into AIR for the PB). 

I would not expect Java or C++ apps to suffer the same limitation as, certainly, QNX itself has full support for DNS resolution.

As soon as the native or Java SDKs are available, someone can probably come up with an ActionScript-callable API to support MX record lookup, or full DNS lookup.  (Though I have no idea how ActionScript/AIR supports calls to other languages and native libraries.  It's trivial in Python to call just about anything, but I have no knowledge of this area for ActionScript.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
zezke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition)

Good point jtegen, I never actually considered the fact that you couldn't access your e-mail without an actual Blackberry. I think it will be possible, otherwise you couldn't read your mails when connected to a WiFi-network.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

I hope web based email will certainly be possible and any client based email applications.  Other than WiFi, it is my understanding that data access (WAN/Internet) is only possible via the BB phone and that the PB itself cannot directly access 3G/4G networks.

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Web-based email will definitely work!  And, if RIM doesn't bundle a generic email app that can connect to POP3/IMAP servers and send mail via SMTP, then I guarantee that someone else (possibly me!) will write an app that can do that.  Certainly basic TCP connectivity via WiFi is all you need to support it (that, and a whole bunch of code).

Also I'm fairly sure that we've already heard RIM itself (in the guise of Jim Balsillie?) saying that a future PB to be released later this year will include 3G (and 4G?) access.  I'm considering the tethering thing to be a temporary situation that RIM has chosen as part of getting this device to market sooner than it would otherwise have.  Also possibly an experiment from which they may learn some interesting and useful things.

I also think many people may have no real problem with a version not supporting 3G.  I think cellular access is an option on the iPad, and they wouldn't have bothered with that if there wasn't some market for it.  I would certainly not want to have 3G for each of my PlayBooks.  (I plan to retire the original one for the use of my five-year old when a 3G one comes out and I upgrade.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!