Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

FDT 5 with BB10 SDK 3 Beta Installation Working?

Has anyone been able to configure FBT 5 (free version) with BB Tablet OS SKD 3.0.0?

• I've been able to install FDT 5 OK
  • it is configured for Flex 4.6 with AIR 3.1 without a problem.
  • I've added SDKs "BlackBerry Tablet OS SDK 2.0.0 for Adobe AIR" and "BlackBerry Tablet OS 3.0.0 for Adobe AIR" under the IDE preferences / FDT / Installed SDKs.
  • When I select a new FDT Project and select "AIR" and "Blackberry", I get a error at the top of the dialog "The BlackBerry SDK is not installed.  Visit http://fdt.powerflasher.com/blackberry-for-fdt/ to get it."
  • When I go to that site, it reference the BlackBerry for AIR Beta homepage (which is the 3.0.0 SDK that I already have installed) and something about a "FDT plugin" that I have not been able to locate anywhere.

Any help is appreciated.  I am finally trying to get around to some BB10 AIR development, but it looks like you have to keep that separate from Flash Buillder for current PlayBook apps since you cannot do both at the same time.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Smugrik
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Bouygues Telecom

Re: FDT 5 with BB10 SDK 3 Beta Installation Working?

To install the BlackBerry plugin for FDT, you need to relaunch the BB10 SDK for AIR install and select integrate with FDT (you have the choice between FDT and FlashBuilder).

Pointing to the BB10 SDK from FDT preferences (as you probably did for the Flex and AIR sdk) is enough if you plan to build using ant scripts, but it doesn't installs the FDt plugin.

Julien
Web: smugrik.org Follow: @Smugrik
PlayBook apps:
OSCream
kiPass
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

That did it. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Smugrik

Glad I could help :-)

Out of curiosity, are you using FDT on Mac or windows?

Julien
PlayBook apps:
OSCream
kiPass
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

Windows, Free version. I will try to use FDT for BB10 development and keep Flash Builder for PlayBook development until they join at some point. The IDE has some nice features, but not willing to pay another $400+ for the full version just yet.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Smugrik

Okay, I'm also using the same version of FDT, there are a bunch of weird bugs which are linked to the free version and or to windows...

Julien
PlayBook apps:
OSCream
kiPass
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

Any show stoppers that we all should be aware of? For example? Work arounds?
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

Stupid question. How do you create a library in FDT? There are no options to do so under File/New.
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

Also, has any one been able to deploy from free FDT to the simulator? I get an error "ERROR Unsupported file type..." and it references the project directory.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Smugrik

I didn't find any real showstoppers, but some annoying bugs,

for instance, on windows, I cannot seem to use the project preference to package an asset directory, see http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Adobe-AIR-Development/Packaging-Error-in-FDT-on-windows-when-...

Also, in FDT free, setting the app icons from the preference windows is blocked (one of the free version limitations), no big deal as I prefer to set them manually in the app descriptor, but where it gets annoying is when FDT automatically overwrites your app descriptor <icon> everytime you open the preference window...

Nothing too dramatic in any case, overall I really like to work with FDT... I just received a notification that FDT 5.5.1 is out, hopefully they fixed some of them.

In FDT, for libraries, I just create standard projects but build them with the specific launch configuration "FDT SWC Library"

I have not tried deploying to the simulator, actually I never use the simulator...

Alos I'm doing all the building packaging deploying and signing from FDT with ant scripts, this also allows me to work around the bug I mentioned above with adding a directory to the package.

Julien
PlayBook apps:
OSCream
kiPass
Please use plain text.