Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
labwaste
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

FYI - Found a site hosting paid playbook apps

[ Edited ]

I found my paid app being offered for free via <removed> along with a ton of others - just search for Playbook.  Can anything be done?

EDIT:  There is this at then end of the main page:

All apps from this site are reproduced from other blogs or forums. If there is a violation of your copyright, please let us know. We'll remove it within 24 hours.  Contact us at: support@pbvn.net

EDIT #2 - They removed my application shortly after I contacted them.

Mod note: Removed URL to site.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: FYI - Found a site hosting paid playbook apps

1. Send a DMCA takedown notice to Mediafire, or whatever file host was used for your .bar
  2. Send a DMCA takedown notice and report terms-of-service item 5f abuse to Ad.fly 
Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
pyth
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane
My Carrier: Outer Space

my feeling says that there are actually a lot of pirate sites out there, and it's like fighting windmills (there are many threads to that, check the search engine)

as long as there isn't anything done in general, we can search and tell people to delete our apps from pirate sites, but of course, it also blocks us from creating more apps. i think MSohm promised a solution with the next OS version, but who knows...there are many questions

uuuh cool, my app had over 200 downloads and a better rating than in app world. should i be proud now :?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
JimmyO
My Device: Not Specified

I tried downloading one of the .bar files, and could not get it installed on the PB (v2 OS).  Tried a few of the better documented methods on the web.  The .bar file did appear to have some legit files (images, swfs, etc), but given that it didn't work I assume this is just more of a troll site to generate ad revenue.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

I'll pass this site along to our internal teams.  If you come across others, please send them to me via PM instead of posting publicly here in the forum.  Thanks!

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
Harry_Dodgson
My Device: Bold 9900

I noticed some of the apps on that site have startup screens with the website name.  Isn't that enough of a change to require the app to be signed again?  If so, can RIM find out who is doing it?

--------------
Accepted PlayBook Applications: Marmi-doos, BASIC, Run and Hide
Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

that's a pretty good find harry -- definitely sounds like he is repackaging them -- apps have to be signed before they can be side loaded as far as I know -- definitely a step in the right direction.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Marker
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: 3

Heaps of pirate and torrent sites focusing on PB out there and even found an app that I have been involved in, that solely are used internally in a company I work with - wonder how the [bleep] they got hold of them?

Anyway I believe that sideloading apps and even having pirated apps and sites is not all for the bad of it and the easier it is to get apps on the side, the more Playbooks will be sold and the greater will the market be for your professional apps. Besides, not all who download an app from these sites would have spend $$$ on them if they had to pay for them in the App World.

To me it is a great way to test out and find the apps there are out there and an even better way to find Android apps that have been tested on PB (in a sense) - And must say that the Playbook got a whole new (positive) meaning after I found one of these sites and I ended up spending more money on apps (both for personal and most importantly for the companies I work with/in) after I had the oppertunity to test them properly and is a great oppertunity to among other get hold of IM's, the Kindle app, an PDF reader that actually works (compared to the native that is offered with PB) and other apps that are not directly available from the rather limited App World and that I would have had no chance to know, if it werent for websites like that.

So thanks to pirated sites I have spend more than 40K on apps, that enriched the Playbook experience and overall user satisfaction for the companies I work with.

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Side loading will not be allowed in a future version of the OS.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Harry_Dodgson
My Device: Bold 9900

jtegen wrote:
Side loading will not be allowed in a future version of the OS.

So honest developers won't be able to test on device or will need dedicated devices for testing?  Anyone who's done an app for the PlayBook knows you can't get an accurate test in the emaulator.  I hope we won't have to submit to AppWorld then download it just to test a revision.

Harry

--------------
Accepted PlayBook Applications: Marmi-doos, BASIC, Run and Hide
Please use plain text.