Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: FYI - Found a site hosting paid playbook apps

Sideloading isn't going away. But app encryption is coming.

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/04/side-loading-and-piracy/

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

You will probably still be able to have a developers mode. I believe general user side loading will be prevented. Wont know until we see the final implementation.
Developer

Developer
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane
My Carrier: Outer Space

Pretty interesting, that article. Saying that the dev mode will be gone in 2.1 sounds like a first step, but not for us devs.

A simple solution btw to that could be to remove the ability to switch to dev mode altogether, except for those who have registered their device(s) in the vendor portal.

Don't know about PlayBooks in enterprise environments though. I'm working in a company with currently about 10 PlayBooks in use, which might be a bit annoying to register all, but still handable, but what about larger companies then :smileytongue: who knows

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Regular Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: 3

If sideloading is out, then I hope that there will be another option because it is currently not possible (as far as I can see) to do volume purchases in App World so until now deals has been made with developers to deliver around App World and then sideloaded the apps onto the PB, but this sounds to be dead and gone with the next update and if so, then RIM will loose large companies as clients, and I honestly thought that enterprise companie were supposed to be RIM's core business, but aparently not??

None of the apps that are made internally and by 3rd party developers are installed with App World an never will be.

Our current MS CRM and MS Dynamics apps are both android apps and essential for the PB until the Native Apps are completed, so getting rid of sideloading is a strategic stupid thing to do.

Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

[ Edited ]

@Marker

You could use the corporate "work" deployment to do this. Which has the added benefit of being far more efficient...

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Regular Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: 3

Are you talking about Fusion or BB Enterprise server?

Developer

Alec retracted a little in what he said. Side loading will remain, just that apps will only run on the devices they were purchased on. We'll have to wait to see how dev BAR files will be managed with this in mind.
Developer
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

jtegen wrote:
Alec retracted a little in what he said. Side loading will remain, just that apps will only run on the devices they were purchased on. We'll have to wait to see how dev BAR files will be managed with this in mind.

Hmm... This sounds much like what I asked for on this forum pre-release date of the PlayBook.  Wonder what took so long for them to think of it?

--------------
Accepted PlayBook Applications: Marmi-doos, BASIC, Run and Hide, SuperClip
Accepted OS4-7 SmartPhone App: KeepLightOn