Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Final SDK Notice?

I know RIM does not pre-announce things.  But maybe they can give some vague indication on the following.

Will there be a 1.0 of the SDK and how much time before the commercial release of the tablet might this come out?

OR

Do we assume that the 094 is the final release is "gold" and update App World when we've done our final tests with the 094 simulator?

As we seen from the 094 release, developers will need about 2-3 days to install, compile, test, sign and upload. Then the testers need to verify, "test" and approve all of these apps.  Assuming they only test apps that have not been previously approved, they will probably need a week to do all of this.

Assuming April 10th (ish) is the product release, a final 1.0 SDK and simulator would need to be available on April 1st (ish) for all the apps to be finalized and available for sale by product release.  That is only 2 weeks from now.

So RIM (and you can answer with emoticons if you like):

• Will there be a 1.0 SDK prior to product release?
  • Will the SDK/simulator be available about 10 days prior to commercial release?
  • Will there be any "substantial" changes or additions between 0.9.4 and 1.0.0? 

The goal here is to have stable, current versions of the applications in App World for consumers to have on hand.

Please use plain text.
Developer
tags07
My Device: BB Style
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: Final SDK Notice?

Yes RIM...I totally agree with John here..Please give us a roadmap for the SDK releases so we can plan our deployments. Customers need to plan their development cycle and need to know an estimate of actions required on their part as a result of the new SDKs. I know things are still in beta but its close to product shipment, No?

So please do your best to help us out here :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
billfoust
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

Sadly, I don't think you will get a response from RIM. At least, a response with any answers I mean.

I think .94 is the best we will get before release. I expect a 1.0 release AFTER  the product release. I expect the SDK won't have much more in it, but the simulator will have all of the standard apps that ship on the PB.  I believe they don't want a simulator that will be just like the device out in public before release because they don't want people to know for sure what it will have. Ya, we've all seen videos, but still.

For all RIM says about supporting ISVs and developers, I don't think their lawyers will let go of the reins long enough to let them do it.

Bill
-------------------------------------------
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids
Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

i dunno. since we were told not to submit for every new release of the SDK and we know they meant this one included, dont think this is the last SDK build before the release. either we will get another bump up to 0.9.5 or to the actual 1.0. either way, we still have at least another update before the release. just seems logical :smileyhappy:

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

If they do announce a release date during the earnings announcement next Thursday, then it wouldn't surprise me if we see a GM version of the sim/SDK shortly after. They can't possibly expect to launch without giving us final software, can they?
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

jffurlan wrote:
They can't possibly expect to launch without giving us final software, can they?

I think they could.  The SDK 1.0 version, or whatever comes next, might well come a few weeks after the thing is shipping.  They seem to take a fairly long time getting the updates to us, and since we just had one they might easily take over a month for the next.

Also, it's still unclear to what extent they are deliberately stripping things out of what they give us.  We know that the simulator (being a different architecture than the real hardware) has quite a bit different build than the real thing.  Probably a fair bit out of date, and we can see ample signs of that in the videos lately.  The SDK doesn't necessarily have to be changed for the simulator, but I get the impression they *are* stripping things out of some internal version of it that is probably quite different in some ways. 

Without going into the reasons why that might be, I think you can see signs of it in, for example, how the qnx.pps.PPSAccess class is suddenly in the latest API documentation, though there's nothing showing of the other PPS-related stuff even though the classes themselves are available in the libraries.

Also, we've now heard (in the Web Dev forum, from tneil) confirmation that apps built with an older SDK should continue to work on a newer build; in other words, they're trying for backwards compatibility.  (I think that's a bit unusual for beta stuff, but maybe it's a good idea in this case given whatever is going on internally that we're not aware of.  Hard to second-guess them on the basis of almost zero facts.)  Because of that, they could well just release without us getting anything new for a while.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
daviesjm
My Device: Z10

It would really be nice to actually get a email notification when a new SDK is released.  Since I am a part time developer, I am not always on the forums.  Fortunately, I did happen to check in last night to see that 0.9.4 was released.  What do they do for the other SDK releases?  Is it always a situation where you just need to check back often?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Creator of the Idea Catch PlayBook application

My favorite Apple product is apple sauce.
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

What, you're not checking the forum every 15 minutes for the latest information?  No, you're right.  It would be very helpful if some kind of bulk email went out when important things are available.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

They do update the Dev Blog, which you could watch via RSS etc, though it usually takes a day or three for them to write about things there.

On the other hand, I don't think it's a bad idea for a sort of "staged" rollout of these things, where us eager beaver early-adopters jump on things, find the initial problems (which every new release to date has had), point them out, test the fixes, and document stuff.

Imagine how bad it would be if all the less involved developers got an instant email and jumped on things immediately, only to find it didn't work.

I am a bit puzzled, however, that the "Developer News Bytes" email list, which you can subscribe to, doesn't get used for this purpose in any way.  It was used to announce the Payment Service and the Analytics Service (the latter not yet supported on PlayBook), but not for the SDK updates.  Agreed that there should be something, though not an instant update list...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

hey,

they actually do/did send out emails when there is an update to the SDKs. for the last ones they had, they sent an email out like a few days later. not on the day, but some time after. i dont know if they'll keep up with it, but i dont see any reason why they wud stop doing that.

that being said, i recommend everyone check the forums at least once a day or so. the sticky topics are the ones to look out for if there are any updates to the SDK. if you are not willing or able to do that, then you are going to have to wait for the later emails.

the way i look at it, the more willing you are to find updates, the faster you will hear about the updates when they happen. think of it as a reward system and it makes kind of sense. what does not make sense though is the amount of time between having an updated SDK official and not emailing about it within a day or two. thats just too long. i understand if its not instant, but whats the point of subscribing to being emailed about updates if its sent out so long after it is available? kind of defeats the purpose.

so my advice, dont rely on the official emails. just check the forums for the sticky topics at least.now that i think about it, maybe they do it later on so when we find errors (like we did with the windows downloads) they can fix them first and then make it official. this is just make trying to make sense out of the insensible haha

or if you are really crazy, do what me and @peter9477 do, subscribe to the forums and get updates via email haha!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.