Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Re: Flash Builder 4 does not have the "BlackBerry Tablet AIR Application".

Adding a new SDK is not diffilcult or problematic.  Just download the ZIP file, export the contents into a directory in the FB /sdk(s) directory, from FB you will need the new SDK to the choices of available SDK.  Each project, you can specify which SDK to use for compilation.  It is a great way to select an SDK to try something, but you can revert back to an older SDK if you need to (unless you are using something new from the newere SDK).

I too hate "testing" new SDK because something with my existing code will need to change, but a lot of times, the new SDK makes your code "tighter" and better for the long term.

Contributor
turbidity
My Device: Not Specified

If was only just adding the SDK, that'd be great. As I understand it, the recommendations here are that one solution is to install the new version (4.0.1) of the Flash Builder plug-in, since there is no updater for the plug-in, according to Adobe. So I will need to set up my workspaces, environment variables and the like again. I'm not saying it's an obstacle; just a hassle I'd love to avoid, especially because if anything gets hosed in the reinstall, my other projects will be dead in the water until I resolve it. 

Thank you for the suggestion, though! It's encouraging to see how responsive the community here is. I've tried everything else suggested on this thread to get the BBT debug configurations to show, and the upgrade to FB 4.0.1 is the last item I have yet to try if there's no way to debug through Shawn's suggested configuration.

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Just to clarify, are you using the BB SDK 0.9.0?  That contains the AIR SDK needed for current development.  You should not have to mix anything at this time.  I tried that at one point (BB 0.9.0 + AIR 4.5) and that was a mess because it was not supported yet.

Contributor
turbidity

Correct. I'm using the BB 0.9.0 SDK with Flash Builder 4.0.1. I went ahead and upgraded, since I had the evening free. I reinstalled FB and the BB SDK fresh. I tried running them both in Administrator mode, as had been suggested earlier. I copied the blackberry-tablet-sdk.link into the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4 Plug-in\eclipse-host-distro\dropins directory. It still is not working. The debug configurations for Blackberry are still not showing up. There were still errors when I installed the BB 0.9.0 SDK.

So far, the only thing that has worked for me is Shawn's run configuration, and I really want to be able to debug in the simulator, which that configuration doesn't cover. I'm in the same situation as tdbrian is.

I had heard that FB Burrito (4.5) doesn't work with the SDK, so I am glad I avoided that.

Does anyone have anything else I can try? Thanks!

Contributor
turbidity

If this helps anyone, I did finally manage to get the debug settings to show up. I had to switch from Flash Builder 4.0.1 Plug-in to Flash Builder 4.0.1 Standalone. Once I did that I was able to install the SDK without any errors and the debug configurations for Blackberry Tablet showed up. I was able to get an app to debug on the simulator, so I'm happy.

I had an idea of trying to use the remote debug session described here (http://forums.adobe.com/message/2786957#2786957) and here (http://renaun.com/blog/2010/06/debug-air-apps-on-android-with-flash-builder-4/) but ended up finding it easier to just install a different FB.

New Developer
NormanF
My Device: 9700

I also had trouble getting the configurations to show up when Flash Builder was installed as a plug-in.  I installed the stand alone flash builder then the Blackberry SDK and everything appears to be running correctly.

Contributor
lushdog
My Device: Curve

Dev manager of a 10 year RIM ISV here.

I too have this issue and connot resolve it.

Obviously cannot continue development until this issue is resolved.

Any other immediate support methods available?