Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
JayTay33
My Device: Curve
Accepted Solution

Flash CS6 and SDK 10

Hi there,

I had every intention of building a new app for BB10 using Flash Professional CS6. In fact, I was pretty excited. I've been following the development of BB10 and I'm a big believer in the potential. I was hoping to be part of it...

I tried loading the Blackberry 10 SDK into Flash CS6 and got nowhere. There was minimal support as well online in the forums.... A few of the users seemed to have figured it out using some hacking... It wasn't intuitive and user friendly though....

Blackberry 10 SDK was for AIR 3.0 - 

Adobe is now running AIR 3.5.

Then the release of SDK Gold came out and I was once again excited, thinking that some of the compatibility was fixed but as far as I can tell.. It's the same download as before... SDK for AIR 3.0

I understand that the SDKs work with Flash Builder but honestly, I'm boggled as to how they are imported and linked to Flash Pro.. CS6...

I would have an email feedback but I couldn't find a email contact.... So, I posted in the forum...

I'm hoping in the future, Flash Pro developers will be given a little more attention and the compatibility will be fixed..

I am looking forward to BB10 and I wish RIMM much success...

Retired
dmalik
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Dev Alpha C, BlackBerry PlayBook

Re: Flash CS6 and SDK 10

I highly recommend you look into Flash Builder if you're doing any serious coding. The workflow is much more intuitive than Flash Pro especially for mobile development. That being said I still use Flash Pro daily for content creation but I do all of my coding in Flash Builder. 

As other people have found there are ways to get the API's working in Flash Pro but it is not a supported platform and will not be in the short term. If you're not interested in using the API's I have published an article on how to create a BlackBerry 10 application with Flash Professional here - http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Adobe-AIR-Development/How-to-Create-a-BlackBerry-10-AIR-Appli... 

We are upgrading to the new AIR runtime but it will not be ready for launch. It will be released in an updated version of the BlackBerry 10 OS in the future. You can get updates on the AIR roadmap here - https://developer.blackberry.com/air/downloads/roadmap/ 

Regards,

Dustin

Follow me on Twitter: @dustinmalik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep up to date on BlackBerry development: http://devblog.blackberry.com/
New Contributor
JayTay33
My Device: Curve

Thanks very much for the response, the various options and for the how to article.

I will look into and hopefully see you in the Blackberry App world....

All the best in 2013 and beyond..

Go BB10.

Developer
DachFlach
My Device: Not Specified

I use Pro. Personal choice.

I am excited for an AIR runtime upgrade coming up - hopefully, but is there any chance that Workers will be implemented.

I realize that it is likely beyond RIM's reach but if they can add any influence at all to Adobe getting that available on BB devices, that would be awesome.

Currently I find background rendering of audio or images slower than on less substantial Android devices.

eg: Xoom was twice as fast as PlayBook.

Retired
dmalik
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Dev Alpha C, BlackBerry PlayBook

Adobe may add worker support for AIR mobile down the road but it is out of our control. I very much hope they do though :smileyhappy:

"The use of workers for concurrency is only supported in Flash Player and in AIR on desktop platforms. Concurrency is not supported on mobile AIR platforms. You can use the static isSupported property to check whether concurrency is supported before attempting to use it." - http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/flash/system/Worker.html 

Follow me on Twitter: @dustinmalik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep up to date on BlackBerry development: http://devblog.blackberry.com/
Contributor
Idlemedia
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Thanks dmalik. I assume if we use ANEs we should add them in the Graphical Aid as well?

Developer
shawnblais

According to Flash Product Managers, worker's are NOT coming to AIR in their current implementation.

Instead, we'll get concurrency in the form of ASNext or AS4 which is coming sometime this year, and will have multithreaded keywords intrinsic to the language.

None of this matters to BB10 Dev's until RIM actually starts updating the runtime... which they haven't for what, 14mths now?

Developer
DachFlach

Thank you Shawn.. sounds great...  outside of BB development.