Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
puguasoft
My Device: Nexus One (Android)
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Free PB Defective - Can I Exchange?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have received a free PB for developing some apps (thanks RIM)!  Upon first boot up, there were some major problems - basically every app that came pre-loaded crashed/closed immediately after trying to open it, options screen was blank/empty, trying to use the "Power Off" app would cause the screen to get garbled, and many other issues.

After some research, I tried to do the +/- volume + plus power button to reset, also tried holding down the powerbutton only, many, many times. Even after the many reboots and resets - the same issues occur. I also tried re-installing the "debrick" update via Desktop Software many, many times (more than a dozen!)  but still the same issues.

It's getting worse - now I cannot even open the options menu and *none* of the main menus at the top of the screen work (i.e. Wifi, battery, Bluetooth, screen orientation, settings/options). In addition, doing a top-down swipe to open the options/settings no longer works.

I also wanted to add that I am running the latest OS version at the moment (1.0.3 Bundle 1868).

I'm convinced, after many, many reboots and after many, many re-installs and "debricks" I have a defective PB.

My question - since I got this PB via the Free offer for developing an app, is it still covered under warranty? If so, who or where do I get an exchange?

Thanks for any advice and tips!

~Chris
PuguaSoft LLC
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Free PB Defective - Can I Exchange?

I would think you should be contacting technical support first, and maybe check through the printed material that came with the unit. Failing to find any useful contact info amongst that, I'd email the TMGideas folks to ask for guidance.

Certainly I would think these units have the full warranty and will be supported as well as the retail versions.

In the Support Tools section of the Help app in the device, it mentions going to http://www.blackberry.com/playbookgettingstarted as one possible avenue for support, (though that page does start with a dropdown letting you select your country from only Canada and the US).

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

I'm looking into this for you.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Contributor
puguasoft

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll shoot TMGideas an email to see if I can exchange my PB for a new one.

I'll update this post with any new news.

Regards,

~Chris
PuguaSoft LLC
Please use plain text.
Developer
willyyr
My Device: Bold 9900, DevAlpha A
My Carrier: Vodafone DE

@MSohm, @puguasoft is there any news on how to handle this. I got the playbook and the screen "glows" in only one color in the lower right corner and there's some dead pixels in the top left corner of the screen. Clearly this is defective as i compared it to another pb of my friend.
Willy R.
-
If my post solved your problem, make it easier for others to find by Accepting it as a solution or provide a Kudo if it was helpful for you. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
puguasoft

Just an update...

I emailed TMGIdeas about my problem and the process to get an exchange. They responded quickly (within an hour) and said they will email me info on printing a next-day FedEx shipping label (I got the email the following day). After I ship my defective PlayBook, they will ship me a new PlayBook ASAP.  Pretty easy and painless - KUDOS to TMGIdeas for their service!

So....if anyone else needs to exchange a defective PlayBook, here are the steps:

1. Send an email to BlackberryPlaybookReturns@tmgideas.com
  2. Tell them you have a damage/defective PlayBook from the Free PlayBook Offer and include your E-Store Online Order #.
  3. They will email you (probably the next day) with a link for printing out a next-day FedEx shipping label.
  4. Package everything that came with the PlayBook, attach the FedEx shipping label, and ship it.
  5. Once TMGIdeas receives your PlayBook, they will ship you a new PlayBook ASAP.

~Chris
PuguaSoft LLC
Please use plain text.
New Developer
daniellorenzin
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Telstra

I'm also having issues with my playbook from the offer. Both wifi and bluetooth have stopped working. I have attempted a security wipe and update via BDM and can't get through the setup due to no wifi.

I emailed tmgideas like the above post and haven't heard anything.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Contributor
puguasoft

Hi daniellorenzin,

Any updates? Has TMG Ideas still not responded to you by now?
~Chris
PuguaSoft LLC
Please use plain text.
Developer
willyyr
My Device: Bold 9900, DevAlpha A
My Carrier: Vodafone DE

I'm also not hearing back after a first email reply from tmg. They said FedEx was going to contact me but thats more than a week ago now. I emailed them again asking about a status but haven't heard back. :smileysad:

Willy R.
-
If my post solved your problem, make it easier for others to find by Accepting it as a solution or provide a Kudo if it was helpful for you. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
daniellorenzin
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Telstra

Yeah, after to emails, they sent fedex to pick up the playbook, and it's on it's way back now.

Hopefully they just package a new one, and send it out right away.

I miss using it daily, and want to start deving work apps for it.

Only issue is time, cause I'm in Australia
Please use plain text.