Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
tags07
My Device: BB Style

Re: Free Playbook offer extended again??

The other tid-bit in that email:

The new optional app players will be available for download from BlackBerry App World and will be placed in a secure “sandbox” on the BlackBerry PlayBook where the BlackBerry Java or Android apps can be run.

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

The Terms and Conditions state that RIM "reserves the right to extend the Offer Period by giving five (5) days notice. Any such notice will be posted on the Offer Website."

No such notice has been posted.

Personally, I think that email was simply written in a misleading way by someone who should have done a better job getting it reviewed prior to sending.  This wouldn't be the first time someone in RIM did a very poor job communicating something simple.  I think the date refers more to the launch date and not to the end of the offer period, which I think is unchanged.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

@tags07, that "tidbit" isn't news either (except to those who missed it six days ago).

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Agree with @peter.  We would have gotten word 4 days ago.

For all those fighting to get their app in, proceed until we hear otherwise.

Developer
tags07

@peter.. you are right.. I guess i didnt read the press release or atleast did not pay attention to the para with the reference to the "sandbox"

New Developer
alexperri7
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

Just to confirm, the deadline is still March 31. On the Inside BlackBerry Developer's Blog, this was posted today (it is only the last sentence, as the rest of the post talks about starting with flex development).

Don’t forget that the deadline for submitting your application to BlackBerry® App World™ is March 31st, 2011 in order to qualify for the free BlackBerry PlayBook tablet offer.

- Julian

You can check out the link for the rest of the post: http://devblog.blackberry.com/

---------------------------------
My PlayBook Apps: Pocket Portrait Lighting, Pocket Food Photography, Allergen Free Cooking, Easy Agenda
Developer
Wingflap
My Device: Bold 9650 and Playbook 16gb

I have an app that has been sitting in "Pending Content Review" status for about a month so I emailed AppWorld Vendor Support to ask for an update on it's status as well as if I should submit a working (but incomplete app) today to ensure that I have an app that gets approved.

I received a reply just moments ago that states:

"Hello, Thank you for your email. As previously mentioned, the application is still being reviewed to make sure we have what we need to approve it. The Review Team may need some questions answered, but ultimately the application will be approved. As it was submitted prior to the March 31 deadline, you are already eligible for the Free PlayBook so I won't recommend compromising a new application just to meet this deadline."

Since this was sent today, it tells me that:

1. My app will be approved! :Clap:
  2. The deadline is (at least as far as the support team is concerned) still March 31.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Approved Apps: Barry Black

Loving my new Playbook!
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

I'm a little uncomfortable with the prospect of having an app in the store without the means to test it myself on a physical PlayBook and support users who install it... I hope they start shipping us devices soon. 

Assuming my app is approved, of course :smileywink:

Cheers, - Jon -

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer
tags07

RIM sent a clarification email today:

Important Clarification: Free BlackBerry® PlayBook™ Offer Deadline

We sent you a message on Wednesday, March 30th inviting you to visit Partner Sphere for available BlackBerry PlayBook Developer Resources. The communication included mention of the Free BlackBerry PlayBook Offer.  

We would like to clarify that the deadline to qualify for a free BlackBerry PlayBook through the special Free BlackBerry PlayBook Offer that is open to all app developers is today, March 31st. 

For more information on this offer, please visit http://us.blackberry.com/developers/tablet/playbook_offer.jsp.

As always, we attempt our best to provide you with timely and accurate information and we apologize for any inconvenience or misunderstanding this may have caused. We encourage you to begin or continue your development of BlackBerry PlayBook applications to get access to a large and growing market of both business and personal users.

Yesterday’s message is below for your reference.

Please feel free to contact us should you have any questions.

Developer
nobleRobot
My Device: Free Playbook!

[ Edited ]

Registered developers who submit a qualifying BlackBerry® PlayBook™ app that is accepted into BlackBerry App World™ prior to the initial product launch in North America (April 19th) will receive a free BlackBerry® PlayBook™. 

It seems that I'm the first to notice that while the March 31st deadline (as we've always known it) is a submission deadline, this email refers to a previously unmentioned approval deadline.

If they wanted April 19th to refer to a submission deadline, they would have put commas around "that is accepted into BlackBerry App World," but they didn't, so "App World" is the subject, "accepts (by April 19th)" is the verb and "an app" is the object.

Of course, the clarification seems to indicate that a PR person just got the date wrong, and they probably meant "developers" as the subject, "submits (by April 19th)" as the verb, and "an app" as the object.

But literally, the email is not technically wrong if the testing house expects to approve all apps in queue before April 19th. So maybe it's a deadline for them!

mark-lacroix.com | Operators: the game with two sides
Please give me Kudos if I've earned it!