Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: None

Re: Free Playbook offer extended again??

They seem to have reached a point where it takes 10-15 days to evaluate an app, so anything that's submitted by today should be decided upon before April 19th. If it takes them until after the ship date to evaluate, it's probably because you submitted late :smileytongue:

Developer
My Device: Z30, PlayBook

My app is so lame, it should take only a few hours to review. :Rolleyes:

I hope they are okay with it and understand that'll I'll add more features soon.  It has been a crazy few months for me and I'll be overjoyed if they accept my simple app.   And then I'll be jumping up and down estactic if I get a PlayBook.

My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

If you know your app is lame, why are you submitting it?  App World does not need more lame apps.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Concurred.

Developer
My Device: BB Style

May be he is porting this:

lame(1)                      LAME audio compressor                     lame(1)

NAME
       lame - create mp3 audio files

SYNOPSIS
       lame [options] <infile> <outfile>

ha ha ha :smileyhappy:  

Developer
My Device: Playbook

It is really RIMs fault for there being crappy apps not the devs. They clearly wanted a high app count at launch and are willing to give away a device that probably costs then $280-$300 to make to increase that cout by one. This is purely for marketing. If someone said to almost any of you I will give you a $500 device for something you make but I don't care what you give me in return you would get a lot of **bleep**. That is what RIM did here. Some of us have pride in out apps but for many it is simply the most bang for there buck then Rey will leave.
Developer
My Device: BB Style

thesmileman wrote:
It is really RIMs fault for there being crappy apps not the devs. They clearly wanted a high app count at launch and are willing to give away a device that probably costs then $280-$300 to make to increase that cout by one. This is purely for marketing. If someone said to almost any of you I will give you a $500 device for something you make but I don't care what you give me in return you would get a lot of **bleep**. That is what RIM did here. Some of us have pride in out apps but for many it is simply the most bang for there buck then Rey will leave.

@thesmileman: You know you have a point there.. Water and electricity take the path of least resistence..and so does human greed/motivation to get the PB. Its not as if RIM was not aware of this problem..They could have always set the bar high and added some basic requirements. The fact that we see multiple Fart apps, Tic Tac Toes and even apps that just calculate basic mathematical formulas in the App World got to say something about the current priority for RIM. 

Its not a bad thing you know.. in the end its a numbers game. When the CEO of RIM goes on stage and says we have 100,000 apps it does not matter what apps there are. Everyone knows no one can make 100,000 hifi apps atleast not in such a short period. They need these numbers to justify to their stakeholders that they are in business and competing with other platforms. Don't tell me those platforms are all rosy and all the apps they have are super killer apps.

That doesnt mean that App World should become a garbage/dumping grounds for *bleep* apps brining down the reputation and quality. There are ways around this. For example:

a. RIM can set the bar a little higher but not too high.

b. Give more time for people to design

c. Reward based on quality

d. add a rating system for the apps like thumbs up or stars...not sure if the App World supports it.

e. provide constructive feedback to the developers to give them a chance to improve and resubmit.

This was just round one IMHO.

a. The goal being attract developers from competetive platforms.

b. Do some damage to competetion by giving away free PBs thus making the developer think twice before investing in the competition.

c. Create apps dedicated for the PB. perhaps find 1% of apps that are killer apps.

In round two, they should attack the quality aspect, user satisfaction, quirks with installation and signing and so on.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Well yeah, that's what I've been saying about QUALITY CONTROL all over this board. There's no reason RIM couldn't have had the promotion and shown more discretio, but as you said, this was just a numbers game from the start.

RIM will never catch up to Android an iOS in terms of app volume. There's nothing wrong with that. Instead of fighting an impossible battle, they should be taking a "quality vs quantity" approach. It would allow them to demonstrate consistency in the playbook's app world, which of course leads to higher consumer confidence, more purchases, and better apps (beyond requirements) thanks to an actually healthy ecosystem. They'd have the perfect marketing ammo; their campaign would involve showing off huge collections of garbage iOS and Android apps, then showing off two or three of their best gems.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)

App World allows for ratings of 0-5 stars. This will help set the good apps apart.

Either way, I know many people came on here and did a quick cut and dry app to get their free playbook, but I'd like it to be known that for a new developer like myself, I have no plans of running away once I get my device. I have lots of ideas in mind, include ways to improve my current app(s),  and look forward to seeing them on a device to better my knowledge of app development. And I know this can be said for many of the devs in this community. RIM may have acquired a lot of crud with this promotion, but they've also given a lot of new devs the push we needed to start developing. And only good can come from that!

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
My Device: Free Playbook!

[ Edited ]

[rant]

Am I the only one who is sick of all the b'tching about all those supposed "freeloaders" who are clogging the PlayBook up with throwaway apps in order to steal $500 from RIM?

Do we really think that an army of idiots were reading a blog one day, saw news of the free PlayBook offer and said to themselves: "I, a person with no talent and no coding education, can easily whip something up in an hour for that! Ha ha, I'll beat the system!"

Of course there are going to be amateurs attracted to this promotion, and I'm sure a lot of their apps are going to be terrible, but why does anyone care so much? You're getting your PlayBook, they aren't going to run out.

Does this come from some sort of elitism? Is it that you just don't want anyone else to get a PlayBook unless they poured their heart and soul into their work, like you surely did? Can't we just be happy for everyone who got an app approved? So what if they only met the minimum requirement, RIM *is* looking at every app to check for soundboards and other purely useless things, and if you don't think an app is useful, don't download it!

And remember, if RIM did start cracking down, we "quality devs" would all be under more scrutiny as well, and they won't be using *your* ideal standards, they'll use theirs, and you'll have no say in it. I'm sure dozens of good devs would immediately start complaining about how RIM didn't fairly evaluate their app (see: iTunes App Store).

As for the "health of the app ecosystem" argument, has anyone actually done a count of these apps to confirm this widely-spewed claim? Does anyone realize the enormous ratio of junk that's available in the highly curated iTunes App Store?

Do you really want RIM to start deciding at what point a simple math conversion program *wouldn't* be useful to someone. Some of those dirt dimple apps are designed for specific audiences that RIM may not be able to recognize the value in. Do we really want them to censor the kinds of apps that are available, for any reason?

What's wrong with openness? Isn't a rating system enough to sort the good from the not-quite-as?

Besides, the sad truth is that "XX,000 number or apps" is important to consumers' purchase decision, but most of them only truly care if the device has Facebook, Pandora, and Angry Birds. After that, the app store is mostly about random discoveries, and even 1,000 apps is enough for that. But all those lame apps that fill up the store will help RIM with that artificial number that it needs to sell products, and get our apps in front of more people.

From a practical perspective, believe it or not, having some extra fluff in the store does us (and, in the end, the PlayBook consumer) far more good than harm.

[/rant]

Whew! Sorry about unloading there, but that kind of attitude drives me crazy. And so help me, these better not be the same people complaining about how hard the vendor registration process is. :smileywink:

mark-lacroix.com | Operators: the game with two sides
Please give me Kudos if I've earned it!