Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: Free Playbook offer extended again??

Here's some thoughts on '**bleep** apps' and AppWorld being flooded with them.

1: First of all, there's going to be a lot of '**bleep** apps' (and I put the word **bleep** in quotes) because the SDK's are so immature. We can't even take a photo, read/write files and a lot of other pretty basic things in the current SDK's. This seriously limits what developers can do. You can pretty much only do stuff that runs just as well in a regular vanilla webbrowser as on the PlayBook. This is not any developers' fault.

2: Related somehow, the SDK's are so new that nobody is an expert here. Most apps here are part of a learning experience. They're partly motivated by the free PlayBook offer but seriously, if I divide $500 by the amount of time I've spent with my stuff in hours I end up with the crappiest hourly rate I've ever worked for including when I was 15 and I had my very first summer holiday job. I'm fairly sure that this is the case for most people here including those who built super simple apps. 

3: In my opinion the biggest issue that causes '**bleep**' apps is the fact that the SDK provides ZERO UI guidelines/rules and in WebWorks' case absolutely no widgets / tools or whatsoever. A lot of developers have no design skills so the lack of UI components and guidelines is a perfect prerequisite for a lot of extremely ugly apps. And as we all know, if an app looks like **bleep** the perception of most users is that the app probably IS **bleep**.

I'll leave it up to others to decide whether my apps are '**bleep**' or not. All I do know is that at least they don't look crappy :smileywink:

I have a more detailed article with my thoughts on this whole experience here on my blog for those who are interested (RIM, you guys should read it too!!!)

Some completely unsolicited advice to RIM regarding the BlackBerry PlayBook

Final note: I've seen various apps that are simple in nature. I've also seen various apps that I personally thought didn't look very pretty. However I did NOT see any apps so far where I thought the developer didn't deserve his/her free PlayBook.

It's been a learning experience, at least it has been to me. Heck, I'm still learning (and working on some kick **bleep** new apps too)

RIM's strategy definitely 'worked' on me. I submitted apps AND after securing a free PlayBook I'm even more motivated to release more stuff. I've seen plenty of others on this forum already who seem to be doing the same. 

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Developer

Just so you all know, the censor filter on here is apparently way too overzealous. The word that got bleeped out many times in my post was not at all offensive.

My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

The word may not be offensive to you, but is a word that Blackberry has chosen to not allow on site. Thank you for your participation.

~Taylarie~
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

@themarco:

I understand not being able to test the camera, but it is the same camera API that has been in Flex/AIR for years.  So you can test it in AIR.

Can't read or write files?  What issue do you have here?  The File class works fine in the simulator.

One cannot fault 100% of the QNX controls.  Yes, there are lots of issues with them, but work arounds exist for 99% of the issues (and I am one who will be vocal about pointing those out).  The Flex/AIR API's have been around for years and are very mature so creating a good app can be done easily.

You cannot fault the SDK(s) in creating a good app, only the person using them.  If you cannot create an app because of something missing, then replace it with something else or create a different app until XYZ is ready.

Developer

I should clarify that my comments relate to webworks, not AIR.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Ah.  I cannot speak to WebWorks.  Different forum et al.

Developer

I know. But for some reason these more generic subjects always converge in here.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

Hi, my app is ready, but I just submitted a request for code signing keys and just registered for vendor portal (it means that I won't be able to submit my app, correct?) Am I too late? Is there anything I can do to make it until the deadline???
Thanks!

Developer
My Carrier: n/a

linako wrote:

Hi, my app is ready, but I just submitted a request for code signing keys and just registered for vendor portal (it means that I won't be able to submit my app, correct?) Am I too late? Is there anything I can do to make it until the deadline???
Thanks!

go ahead and submit. It doesn't have to be signed to submit and qualify for the contest. You just can't sell/allow people to download it until it is signed.

New Contributor
My Carrier: Telus

Thank you, but how I can submit without access to the vendor portal?  - I registered for it, but cannot login there.