Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
Brandon_Appetizer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: WiFi

Free copy of flash builder 4 from Adobe - students, faculty, unemployed developers

[ Edited ]

Hey, I saw this link somewhere else and thought it might be handy for a few people around here. There are probably a lot of students and I'm sure some faculty or unemployed developers as well:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-archive/flex/free/

Adobe has a little-known deal where they give away free licenses to Flash Builder 4 (works with 4.5 Burrito too). If you are a student or faculty at an accepted institution, you are required to provide proof of your status to qualify for a free license. As far as I know, applying as an unemployed developer doesn't require any proof, so if you are both a student AND an unemployed developer, you should go with that option.

*Be sure to read the post below about the licensing restrictions and decide whether this offer is right for you appropriately.

Cheers

----------------------------------------
If this post solved your problem, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button.
If you found this post useful, please provide a Kudo. Thanks.

Approved Apps: Celestial Slingshot
Please use plain text.
Developer
RottenOgre
My Device: PlayBook?

Re: Free copy of flash builder 4 from Adobe - students, faculty, unemployed developers

Please use plain text.
Developer
Brandon_Appetizer

Re: Free copy of flash builder 4 from Adobe - students, faculty, unemployed developers

I missed that one, RottenOgre. I would expected such a stipulation to be clearly stated on the page and not require one to fill out the form before it appears. I see why they did this - to present different terms depending on the selected option - but it wasn't mentioned where I read the link either.

The relevant detail is you must agree "I will not use the software obtained under this program for production or commercial purposes". This seems ambigous to me, depending on your definition of the term "production", and while it clearly shouldn't be used for paid apps, it is unclear whether this restriction affects the distribution of free apps. I would be inclined to think that free apps are acceptable.

Even still, many of those eligable may find this handy to have an additional copy, on a laptop, for example, for non-commercial purposes - loading up examples, checking out libraries, etc. instead of messing up their primary build environment.

Thanks for the clarification. This puts a damper on the usefullness, but I think some will still find a use.

Please use plain text.
Developer
thesmileman
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

It seems odd they would provide it to out of work developers. I thought for those guys it was to help them make money not just an education tool to do while you can't find a job.

Though I guess if you were to use it to develop a paid app then you would have a job, so it almost seems like a catch 22 there.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Brandon_Appetizer

Haha, you're pretty much right there, smileman.

I think their primary incentive is getting users to learn their technology. If an out of work developer learns flash builder, which tool is he most likely to use when he does get a job?

Please use plain text.
Developer
thesmileman
My Carrier: n/a

@Brandon, I guess that is the point but I feel like they are pushing this as some sort of benifet to out of work developers to get them off there feet and it clearly isn't. A company doing something for different reason than they indicate? Never. 

Seriously though it is better than them not doing it I guess.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Brandon_Appetizer

True, and I suspect they know many students and out of work developers would just pirate the software anyway. This way, they can at least get some free advertising and presumably some usage statistics.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
FuzzDog
My Carrier: None

So true. I'd already found the torrnet I was going to use before I read about this offer last year. It's basically the same outcome but I guess it's better to do it the legit way.