Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Future of AIR on BB10

Please use plain text.
Developer
shawnblais
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Wow this is so overdue, why keep us in the dark for no reason.... but hey better late then never.

Thanks tneil!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
georg22
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

Reading the devblog makes clear that they did not leave us out by accident. There was a reason. And without our feedback nothing would have been changed. I would really like to know what happened behind the scene.

But its past now ... lets try to meet the criteria.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
spoutnik
My Device: DevAlpha, PlayBook
My Carrier: BaseDE, BouyguesFR

Yes! It is so good news. Now let us proof that Air rocks!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hiennt
My Device: 9550
My Carrier: T-Mobite

STUPID AIR, STUPID RIM DEVs

LOOKED, EVERYTIME I UDDATED AIR SDK, I got a lot of issues AND I have to re-write code. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

Until the API is locked down during the beta phase of the SDK, this will happen. You can wait till after the beta phase is done before you start coding or you can anticipate that some re-coding will occur during beta releases.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
hiennt
My Device: 9550
My Carrier: T-Mobite

That is not true, I have stable app run fine on AIR SDK 1.0, then got issue with 1.1, re-write some code with 2.0, and few month ago 3.0. Now new build of 3.0 release out. I fall into another problem with SkinAssets, some class not found like ContainAlign, Spacer, also setSkin does not work, etc. We as devs very upset with RIM. Looked, iOS, Android, they always care about  back compatibility. 

RIM, its time for devs think about forgeting you!!!!! 

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

There are two code bases. 2.0 is the SDK is for the PlayBook. 3.0 is for BB10. If you are still releasing PlayBook apps, you need to have a different workspace so the different SDKs can be referenced properly. Beta 3 of SDK 3 was recently released, but it is still considered beta until it goes "gold" in Nov/Dec. It was said early on the SDK 3 would not be compatible with SDK 2 because they are for different devices.

It is always tough to decide on backwards compatibility or leaving legacy code behind from the "best" way to implement something. RIM has said the SDK 3 B3 is API backwards compatible, so any future releases of the SDK 3 should just require a recompile.

SDK 3 is beta, you have to expect changes during a beta phase.

SDK 2 will not be supported in the future. SDK 3 will be brought to the PlayBook after the devices have been released.
Please use plain text.
Developer
greenback
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, DAC

Its very easy to migrate from AIR to Cascades. I post free code snippets regularly. Either way, you can still use AIR for your BB10 apps.

:Cool2:

Please use plain text.